Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gsevangelista Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2009, 02:01 AM
    Getting support
    We live in the phils. Is it possible to get financial support from the father of my children who left us and now live in Los Angeles California.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 02:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gsevangelista View Post
    We live in the phils. Is it possible to get financial support from the father of my children who left us and now live in Los Angeles California.
    Yes you can get financial support and people may help you how if you post your own thread . This belongs to the other OP. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2009, 05:44 PM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Since the Philippines is a US territory a support order filed there should be recognized in the mainland.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone elses. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Since the Phillippines is a US territory a support order filed there should be recognized in the mainland.
    It is? Since when?

US Territories:
    Puerto Rico

Guam

U.S. Virgin Islands

American Samoa

Northern Mariana Islands

Midway Islands

Wake Island

Johnston Atoll

Baker, Howland, and Jarvis Islands

Kingman Reef

Navassa Island

Palmyra Atoll
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 05:52 PM

Philippines is not a US territory since 1940's (we we're bought from Spaniards around 1900 and had Commonwealth gov't for 40+ys)

But US and Philippines has a Treaty and can arrange legal issues like this. It is not easy but there's a way. US Navy Soldiers who had families/kids in Angeles City had the same issue when the military base moved out and soldiers has to go back in US.

If your ex is now a US citizen, why not visit the US embassy first?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2009, 06:17 PM

Whoops!
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gsevangelista View Post
    This is really easy. Yes, you can get child support or spousal support (if you are married to the father) from the father who left and lives in California. It is NOT necessary that you reside in California--as long as he lives there you can file a court action in his county of residence and proceed to obtain orders for support.

It would be helpful to know how long the dad has resided in Los Angeles. But this is easy to do.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    .... you can file a court action in his county of residence and proceed to obtain orders for support.

It would be helpful to know how long the dad has resided in Los Angeles. But this is easy to do.
    I'm curious with this one.. but how to get to that point first? Go to the lawyer, draft an order, enclose copy of birth certificates and let the lawyer send the papers to the county of residence or has to pass in in US embassy first? Any seal of approval needed?
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ylaira View Post
    I'm curious with this one..but how to get to that point first? Go to the lawyer, draft an order, enclose copy of birth certificates and let the lawyer send the papers to the county of residence or has to pass in in US embassy first? Any seal of approval needed?
    No, it's nothing like that.

All this lady needs to do is hire a lawyer in Los Angeles ( you can find one on the internet and with a few phone calls). The lawyer in California then files a case in Los Angeles County (it can be for support of the kids only, or a divorce, or legal separation, or if the parties are unmarried, a petition to establish parental relationship), and has the dad served (he lives in Los Angeles she said). Then she flies out for the hearing or maybe arranges to appear by telephone and the lawyer can handle the rest. Of course, she needs to sign all the papers the lawyer will need to file, but that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter where in the world the lady lives as long as the guy she wants the support from is in Los Angeles.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:25 PM

No wonder why a lot of women doesn't pursue this. Sounds tedious if a woman doesn't have means.

Hopefully this lady just needs guidance.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ylaira View Post
    No wonder why a lot of women doesn't pursue this. Sounds tedious if a woman doesn't have means.

Hopefully this lady just needs guidance.
    Hey, I think this is the first thread where we agree with one another!:)
    Sorry if I was a little hard on you in the past~!
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    Hey, I think this is the first thread where we agree with one another!:)
    Sorry if I was a little hard on you in the past~!
    No Prob. At least you don't run after my posts and disagree on anything I say anywhere I go. Someone even emailed me about it. I'm kind of harassed lately. LOL:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a man after paying support for 15 yrs request paternity and get support stopped [ 2 Answers ]

If a man paid child support for 15 yrs and begins to question paternity can he get this stopped

Family support/spouse support/alimony [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Northern California, I pay family support to my ex but is it the same than spouse+child support? How can I stop paying alimony to my ex who's getting married?

View more questions Search