Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poseidon_92 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Upcoming knee surgery
    I'm about to have some major knee reconstructive surgery. My dr. is very good and the best around town (I've asked around a lot). But he doesn't have the best bedside manner and doesn't do a good job at answering questions completely.

I pretty much tore my ACL and all other ligaments but 2. He's going to fix my ACL and graft ligaments for the outside of my right knee. I've started PT twice a week just to stregthen up my muscles I guess. I haven't set a date for my surgery, but the longer I wait the more stressed I become. I have insurance, but I'm worried I won't have enough to cover my PT afterward.

After any knee surgery what is the regular PT time? 5 times a week for like 6 months or something--cause I'll be screwed. What's the use in getting the surgery if you can't afford for the care afterward.

Any advice or pep talk would be great. I'm more concerned about the time it will take to heal.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 7, 2009, 04:30 PM
    The healing time and the PT time varies dependent upon the actual type of surgery and the severity of the injury.

Many times you can see PT only a couple of times to get the correct type of PT and do it yourself at home (my neighbor is currently doing this).

I hope all goes well with you. Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 7, 2009, 04:36 PM
    I've had 3 surgeries needing physical therapy - one shoulder and both knees. My wife and son have had a couple also, so we have a bit of experience. I found physical therapy people/companies to be very negotiable -- and that was in a better economy. Make your deal up-front with them on how much you will actually be paying out of pocket and for how long that will be. They'll want your insurance information first and they'll use that to determine what they are willing to live with. You might be able to have a per visit arrangement or a set amount for the course of treatment, with some limitations to protect them from having to treat you forever. And, don't expect the agreement to be in writing. This is a handshake thing. If you meet with the therapist or whoever handles the initial meetings for the company and you are happy with them, go for it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2009, 04:40 PM

My mom was 75 and had both knees replaced 3 months apart. She had PT for six weeks each, uses a cane only is she has to walk a long distance. Is now 85 and doing great -- does her own grocery shopping, goes to church functions, goes out to lunch, etc.

May 10, 2009, 12:41 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I even checked out a few books on preparing for knee surgery and just more info to ease my mind. I'm still doing PT to strengthen everything up, even though I have no pain at all and my knee has yet to buckle on me. I'll keep everyone posted, and any further advice is welcome (even helpful hints on how to do everyday things--my main concern as simple as it is, is being able to get up and down from using the restroom--so hints there would be great!). For info, this is what the MRI showed I did to myself:
    1. Posterolateral corner injury with disruption of the fibular collateral ligament and tear of the biceps femoris tendon along the distal attachment
    2. Disruption of the proximal attachment ACL
    3. Medial collateral ligament sprain
    4. Myxoid degeneration posterior horn medial meniscus w/out evidence of communicating tear.

Thanks again!

May 22, 2009, 08:26 PM

Got my surgery date and now I'm worrying about details...

This will be an odd question... but any advice on how to do normal everyday things? Like: going to the bathroom (getting up and down), things like that..
    I'm trying to prepare mentally.
    pbfamu Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2009, 06:01 PM
    I have had 5 knee operations, the first in '86 at age 15. Of the 5, 3 have been reconstructions. My advice is to do all the things the doc tells you to do and don't rush the recovery time. As far as everyday life, it is not as bad as it may seem. You learn to get around easily after a while. Showers may be limited but everything else will be OK. I was riding a stationary bike a few months after the first one. Any problems following the procedures were my own doing by rushing recovery time. All will be fine!!

May 29, 2009, 08:31 PM

Thank you! I'm so nervous and that helped me a lot!
    sbbckid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 09:11 PM

Just a side note to you. I have had both knees done. I first went to an aggressive sports medicine doctor. I had my ACL's replaced. If you are having them repaired that generally means. They cut your patella tendon and repair the ACL. I had cadaver tendons and the physical therapy was cut in half. This is a lot less painful. Because that surgery is very painful. The other thing is how aggressive the doctors physical therapy rules are and they can be very different from doctor to doctor. Make sure they are aggressive. It means a world of difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

Lateral knee pain; stiffness behind knee [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an active 51 year old tennis player and golfer. I tore my medial meniscus in January and elected to rehab vs surgery. Now 3 months later pain has moved laterally and I'm getting stiffness behind my knee. MRI showed meniscus tear in posterior horn inferior and a small Baker's cyst. Treatment...

Knee surgery is preventing [ 4 Answers ]

I want to lose 15-20 pounds by this summer but I'm realizing that with all of the workouts I do, I'm gaining a lot of muscle and not losing the weight. What am I doing wrong?

Poss. Pregnant, going for knee surgery tomorrow [ 1 Answers ]

I started back on my birth control pills this past month, after being off them for 3 months. My husband and I have not been protecting ourselves from pregnancy. I should have started my cycle 3 days ago, but I only spotted. I worried because I'm having surgery on my knee tomorrow. I know that...

DJD Knee Surgery [ 2 Answers ]

My DR is sending me to a Orthopedic Surgery he said that I need knee Surgery that I have DJD I was wondering if anyone one knows how long I would be out of work? Thanks

View more questions Search