Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajneel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Can I flat-frame (2x4) 2 sides of a shower stall that will be tiled?
    Need so save room by flat-framing two sides for my shower stalls. Will flat framing hold tile and hardibacker rigid enough?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 04:01 PM

If this is not a structural wall then flat frame is fine. Either or run a couple of long scabs flat behind those flat studs in its wall cavity. If you are screwing them into a brick wall then no worries there
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2009, 04:40 PM

Only concern I would have is wheather you would have enough room for shower faucet rough in.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

May 7, 2009, 05:36 PM

That would only work for furring out a block or poured concrete wall. Otherwise, no.

May 7, 2009, 08:50 PM

contradictory answers! I can run plumbing in my two exterior walls (2x4) but I was hoping to frame my two interior walls flat. But I'm concerned a flat-framed wall won't be stiff enough to hold hardi and tile plumb. It's not structural: just needs to form the shower stall. Anyone have any experience with a flat-framed, tiled shower wall being sufficiently strong. I REALLY appreciate your input... thanks tons.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 8, 2009, 06:15 AM

Two concerns about flat framing a wall. One is rigidity of the wall and the other is warping of the studs. I have a wall flat framed with 2x6's which seems to be sufficiently rigid. Not a shower wall but a wall framed for pocket doors. Use 2x6 and select material carefully.

If you are going to put plumbing in exterior wall, I hope you are not in a climate where freezing is a concern.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 8, 2009, 03:21 PM
    If you are going to put plumbing in exterior wall, I hope you are not in a climate where freezing is a concern.[/QUOTE]

Exactly right. No plumbing in exterior wall in climates that see below freezing temps. Unless this is in a basement, in which case, you can put water lines on a exterior wall.

Also, if the tile work is done correctly, it will support the flat framing. You should use 1/2 inch cement board, and then a good tile with a great grout. Also a great mortor for tile adhesion. You will also want to pick the truest 2x4s or 2x6s available.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 06:45 AM

If u don't mind lossing one more inch, use 2x3 studding

Chuck
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

May 9, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Two concerns about flat framing a wall. One is rigidity of the wall and the other is warping of the studs.
    ... And that is why I said it would not work. You won't stop the studs from warping and twisting and cupping and that will destroy an installation that relies on the rigidity.

If I had to come up with a solution to something like this, and there is no guarantee that it will work, I would screw two metal studs together, creating a box that is 1.5" by 2.5" (you can use the 2x3 metal studs. Then sheath both sides You won't need to worry about twisting and warping with those. I'd secure the frame to a top and bottom plate of metals stud plate channel, with the channel protruding on the inside of the shower. Then I'd build a single layer custom mud pan which would lock the interior side of the walls against the bottom channel and use a Kerdi drain for the pan. Then I would install kerdi membrane on the walls or cover with a topical waterproofing membrane rated for shower pan construction such as Laticrete's Hydroban.

You would then be able to tile your shower.

A couple other construction things I thought of as I was typing this...

On the inside of the shower, where the metal studs are at the top plate, I'd run 2.4's on my table saw to fill the gap between the interior portion of the top plate and the sideways metal studs. Next, run the same size cuts along the other perimeter walls within the shower and along the bottom edge of any joist above. Then, cut a piece of rock or backer to affix to the ceiling as you need to somehow accommodate the steel framing of the top plate within the shower area. Furring out and giving a new ceiling would only result in the loss of about 1.75" in ceiling height which you probably would not even notice.

I hope all this makes sense to you.

May 9, 2009, 01:52 PM

Great advice. Thanks to all.
    Steve Pomery Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bljack View Post
    ...And that is why I said it would not work. You won't stop the studs from warping and twisting and cupping and that will destroy an installation that relies on the rigidity.

If I had to come up with a solution to something like this, and there is no guarantee that it will work, I would screw two metal studs together, creating a box that is 1.5" by 2.5" (you can use the 2x3 metal studs. Then sheath both sides You won't need to worry about twisting and warping with those. I'd secure the frame to a top and bottom plate of metals stud plate channel, with the channel protruding on the inside of the shower. Then I'd build a single layer custom mud pan which would lock the interior side of the walls against the bottom channel and use a Kerdi drain for the pan. Then I would install kerdi membrane on the walls or cover with a topical waterproofing membrane rated for shower pan construction such as Laticrete's Hydroban.

You would then be able to tile your shower.

A couple other construction things I thought of as I was typing this...

On the inside of the shower, where the metal studs are at the top plate, I'd run 2.4's on my table saw to fill the gap between the interior portion of the top plate and the sideways metal studs. Next, run the same size cuts along the other perimeter walls within the shower and along the bottom edge of any joist above. Then, cut a piece of rock or backer to affix to the ceiling as you need to somehow accomodate the steel framing of the top plate within the shower area. Furring out and giving a new ceiling would only result in the loss of about 1.75" in ceiling height which you probably would not even notice.

I hope all this makes sense to you.

Would it work to flatten the inside edge of the top plate and fasten it to the ceiling joist?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 05:34 PM

You haven't got this shower done yet?

How many studs do you need. Build yourself some 2x6 studs out of 3/4 plywood. They won't warp, twist, or cup. 2x6 studs on 16" centers should be sufficiently ridged.
    Two pieces of 3/4 plywood glued together with Liquid Nails and some 1 1/2 screws. Guess you could make the whole wall solid with two sheets of 3/4 ply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tiled Shower - cracked grout between shower wall and pan [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent 10K on labor alone to remodel my master bath. I purcahsed all Hand made tiles (Walker Zanger) and the contractor came highly recommended... After less than one month of use (and I did seal the shower walls and floor with a very good sealer), I noticed a hairline crack in the Grout...

Converting shower stall to tiled bath [ 5 Answers ]

My minute Manhattan bathroom has a 36" x 36" tiled shower stall enclosed by 3 walls (yes, the bathroom is only 36" wide!) and a 6" marble ledge. The whole bathroom, tiles and all, is going to be demolished for the remodel. Here's my question: can I make a small soaking-type bathtub in this 36"...

Repairing 1960 tiled shower stall [ 1 Answers ]

How do I repair the cracks in the grout of the mosaic tile in a shower stall, circa 1960? Water has seeped through the ceiling dowstairs under this bathroom. The existing grout seems much harder than the grout around the 4x4 wall tiles. Is it a different type grout? Shouldn't there be a pan under...

Corner Seat in Tiled Shower [ 10 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom and plan on tiling my shower and adding a seat in the corner. I am trying to determine the best time to frame in the seat. It seems I should put in the sloped mortar bed, then the liner. Then hang the cement board and put down the second mortar bed. At this point I...

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

View more questions Search