Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gamer Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2003, 09:38 PM
    Dual booting winxp and win98se
    ?How do I dual boot with winxp and win98se on separate harddrives? Itried it before and ran good for 2 days then I lost my 98, had to reformat the drive, right now I'm using a switch and I'm about to build another machine tomorrow and don't want to use the switch anymore because of some errors in the bios with 2 masters on board, tired of having to reconfigure the bios, thought it may be the battery but if I reboot with the same OS there is no problem?I'm a hooked gamer, 98 likes some of my old games that xp doesn't. I want to be able to switch back and forth from 1 OS to the other, can anyone help me? Gamer
    Sys specs;
    P4 2.4
    40gbHD
    80gbHD
    Asus MOBO
    kmo14 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2003, 09:12 AM
    dual booting winxp and win98se
    Usually you would dual boot from the same drive... a partition for each and partitions for data... just make sure that they are both set to use the same file system, I know XP can use NTFS... I don't know much about SE
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2003, 04:29 PM
    Gamer, hi, if you still like to dual boot using 2 separate hard drives, may I suggest using PARTITION MAGIC 8.0. Set your 2nd hard drive to "logical" instead of primary. Put win 98se on the 1st drive and win xp on the 2nd drive. Win xp can be either FAT32 or NTFS. If that doesn't work, go with the normal way For creating logical partitions on 1 hard drive. Just remember to install 98se first.
    gamer Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2003, 12:35 PM
    Thanks for the info, never thought of trying a logical drive as a master,again thanks

GAMER

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Os win98se [ 4 Answers ]

Help! Unable to start windows, keeps going to C prompt, I have lost my floppy rescue disk. Can someone help me with this?

Dual booting problem [ 2 Answers ]

I Had Dual Booting With Windows98se (c Drive) & Windows Xp (d Drive) . I Removed Xp By Formatting D Drive. How Do I Remove The Shortcut At Booting Initially

IBM 390X CD-ROM Booting Problem [ 6 Answers ]

I just got an IBM 390X at a computer show. I have no docs and Windows is not my really my specialty. Neither are laptops. So, here's my problem. I replaced the hard drive because I needed more disk, and now I need to reinstall Windows. I can't seem to boot from the DVD drive to start the...

Dual Booting W2k3 Server and XP pro [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I've a working custom built Desktop PC with Win XP Pro running without any issues. My 80GB HDD is partitioned into 4 partitions of 20GB each. Now I'm curious to know whether I can install Windows 2000 Server, so as to make it a dual booting system. Someone told me that I can't do so...

Pop ups after booting-up [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 boxes that appear when I bootup. The one that troubles me most is :- error loading c:\programfiles\wild tangent\apps\CDA\cda engine 0400.dll My PC is running okay. How can I stop these boxes appearing?

View more questions Search