Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sophia923 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 12:09 PM
    A person with a visa got arrested for a small amount of drugs in the U.S
    Someone I know was in the united states on a visa and was arrested for an ounce of cocain. He obtained a lawyer and they said he had to possibly do 2 years in prison and then after the 2 years he would probably be deported. He never finished with the court system, he decided to flee the united states before he did his time and he didn't waite to see if he would have been deported and he went back to his country. That happened almost ten years ago. Do you think he would have been deported? And do you think he has a chance to go back to the united states?. for a little bit of drugs would some be deported? Someone who didn't really know the rules and he also had a family who all just obtained citizenship.. he wants to go back to the U.S but this time never sell drugs again..
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 12:35 PM

If he comes back to the US he will be arrested on the outstanding warrant from his previous arrest. He will have to go to court and serve his time in jail (if so sentenced by a judge). And yes, he will be deported most likely after serving time.

He needs to consult with an attorney in the US to see just what sort of arrangements that could be made for when he arrives back in the US. It's easier to shop for an attorney when you're not in jail.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sophia923 View Post
    Do you think he would have been deported? and do you think he has a chance to go back to the united states?.... for a little bit of drugs would some be deported? someone who didnt really know the rules...
    Hello s:

Yes, I think he would have been deported, and if he comes back, like twink said, he'll do his time and be deported.

He didn't know the rules, huh? So, cocaine is legal in HIS country?? Who are you trying to fool? An ounce of cocaine, isn't a little bit. It's actually quite a lot. It's not an amount that a consumer would have.

excon

May 11, 2009, 10:26 AM
    To excon- in his country drugs are illegal, but when he moved to the united states he had 4 kids and was working 2 jobs, couldn't speak english ,was discriminated against, no one would give him a good job. So he had to make extra money to support his family.. so he knew someone who said "hey you can make a couple dollars" so he wasn't a big drug dealer, he only sold to 3 women. Those three women got introuble and told on him so they could get out of trouble... when they caught him he only had 3 bags worth 20$ a piece. But because he couldn't speak proper english correctly the cops used that to their advantage and said to him " were gonna lock your whole family up and everyone is going to jail if you dont tell us where you got this . he didnt understand too much he just said to the cops " no not my family" "I show you" he said so he went with the cops from one town and took them to another town where he lived. brought them inside his house to give them the rest of what he had and from there he got introuble for having drugs in 2 towns and one town was near a school zone.. the cops tricked him he thought he would be ok if he showed them the rest as long as his family didnt get in trouble. He didnt kno the rules too well. And for them to trick him isnt right. he was only trying to get by in a country that is very mean to people if they dont speak english. Alot of people saaid to him " speak english" well how can he learn the rules and understand them if he don't speak english and who would hire him? A lot of times people who come from other countries don't get good jobs, so they have to take 2-3 jobs just to have a decent income. With kids he had to make more. So what is a person to do if they are already working 3 jobs and still can't afford all the bills.. I think it was a bad choice but if you have little ones to feed and you were never taught the rules ,who wouldn't try and make a coulpe bucks. I just feel bad for him because he is old now , it happened a long time ago, and now that he knows the rules, there is no second chance. But all them people in america selling drugs and get away with it and can still live in our country its no problem.he is from the dominican reublic. Here if you get in trouble, you can pay the cops off.. how crazy is that!

May 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
    I don't know the exact amount. I'm only assuming it was an ounce for him to do 2 years then get deported... bc 2 years isn't a long time.. and I don't know much about cocain, maybe it was a couple hundred dollars worth.. I don't know.. I would assume that if its was a lot of cocain he would do more time correct?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 10:40 AM

Hello again, s:

Oh, I understand making money. And, I understand how the cops chew you up and spit you out. And, I know how hard it is to get a good job if you don't speak English...

But, you still cast him as the victim, and I don't think he is.

excon

May 11, 2009, 10:56 AM
    No not a victim- I just asked what kind of trouble he would be in and if he could return to the U.S. and I'm just stating what I was told about what exactly happened when he got arrested.. yes the cops did chew him up ad spit him out.. I am also a person who feels for people and I try to understand why people do the things they do. I probably would have done the same if I wasn't making ends meet. Nobody thinks of the consequenses when your about to loose your home and you can barley feed your kids in a different country. Thank god I'm born and raised in america, because I have connections to get good jobs, I speak english, and I know the rules, and even if I did something stupid and got arrested, I would probably pay the court system , do my time, but I can still live here! I think its funny how america allows people to move here, act as an american,let them try and be an american, try and talk like an american, but once they get in trouble as a lot of americans do "they arent american"
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

May 25, 2009, 09:05 AM

When I read your explanation, the first thing I thought was, "oh boy, he is wearing the "I am a victim hat" Poor me. I had to break the laws in a country I was visiting because I chose to move to a country where I could not even speak the language, couldn't get decent work, and bring my family over even though I could not support them properly. If you are not an American citizen, you don't go to America and contribute to the crime problem. We have enough of that done by our own people.

It is like you had guest in your home and they stole from you, would you let them back in? You have to deal with them if they are your own children, but if they are guest, throw them out.

Why are they hell bent on being here?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2009, 09:18 AM

Even if before, if they may not have deported, ( we will never know) it would be up to a hearing, and 2 years ago, they were not really bad on deporting.
    My guess 2 years ago, with a good lawyer, no,

Now is different, first as soon as he came back to the US, he is arrested, his running makes it worst, now not only did he have the drugs but he fleed , that makes it worst,
    Now he could not even get a visa to come back, and if somehow he did, would be sent back for sure after he was out of prison.

Wife and children can move to where he is at, that is what people in love do, if they have to

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maximum amount to ask in a small claim court for pain & suffering [ 7 Answers ]

Im suing my mother for $3,000 on a loan that she owes me, I'm also suing her for pan and suffering for physical and emotionally abuse.. now the quastion is for how much can I sue her in pain and suffering, what's the maximum amount in ny

Should I report my 401K distribution if it's only a small amount? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I am 52 yrs. Old and have filed some variant of a IRS 1040 form all of my life. My income over recent years has been between $38,000 and $43,000. In 2007, I received $980.00 in an early distribution on a 401K. I am inclined to report it but am worried that I have never reported interest...

Amount owed larger than small claims in my state [ 2 Answers ]

I understand in my state that small claims court handles only up to $5,000. My boyfriend and I were planning a life together and were to get married when I found a job near his home. In the meantime, he began to remodel his home to accommodate me and my children. Since I felt this remodeling was...

Selling small claims amount that was awarded [ 3 Answers ]

I won a small claims case and I am wondering is there some way to sell the amount to a third party because the person would take 3 years to pay the amount at the amount the judge allowed.

Being sued for small credit card amount [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued buy a credit card for less than 4000. I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose my home. My husband is going to freak when I tell him I have 4 kids ican barely afford to feed as it is. I just went back to work a few months ago I don't know what to do we are considered below the...

View more questions Search