Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katyahawaii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 12:35 AM
    Trying to adopt my grandson
    Aloha:
    I don't know where to start, My grandson is 15 years old and he is been living with me since he was 6 months old when his mother die.
    His father is no where to be found, I know the police is looking for him for the last 2 years we haven't hear from him or see him for at least 5 years is any chance I can adopt him he cannot get his diving permit or anything with out his dad consent I been told that I should adopt him our live will be so much easier
    Where can I start
    Aloha from Hawaii
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

May 7, 2009, 02:22 AM

Have you tried talking to an attorney who specializes in adoptions?
    They might be able to help you. I'm pretty sure that you will have to get one eventually, but don't quote me on that.
    Also try this website, Adopting - Adopt a Baby, Child, Infants, Kids, Older, Services, International, Information China -. Maybe they can answer your questions more thoroughly.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 7, 2009, 05:43 AM

You need a lawyer. Period.

You need to get the biological father to sign away his parental rights in order for you to adopt. If he will not do that, you have a fight on your hands.

Get a lawyer. You may have other options (such as legal guardianship) besides adoption, but you're going to need a lawyer to figure out which is in the best interest of the kid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2009, 05:58 AM

You should have no problem getting legal guardianship. This should relieve much of your problems. This shouldn't be expensive. But you should deal with a lawyer on this.

If you can get a deposition from the officer in charge of his case, you may be able to use that to have his rights terminated to clear the way for adoption.
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

May 7, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Since you can't find the father, this is going to be difficult. You can hire a private investigator, or Google "people search" sites. If it is the local police looking for him, see if you can find out if they ever caught him. I would still talk to a lwyer, but keep in mind, that the time it would take for you to get in touch with the father, and the time it will take to go through litigation, the boy may be close to eighteen, and able to get a license on his own. If you have trouble paying for a lawyer, look in the blue pages for a legal aid society. They provide little to no cost legal services for people who qualify. They might be able to help you to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting custody of our grandson. [ 2 Answers ]

We have had temporary custody of our grandson for the last 6 months. He has lived us for much longer than that and his mother isn't interested in him unless its to threaten to take him from us. We don't have to money to hire a lawyer but its very important that we get custody. We need help!

Want to adopt grandson [ 1 Answers ]

I have custody of my grandson and his parents haven't seen him in almost a year. I hear from my daughter once in a blue moon, but not physical contact. I would like to have their rights terminated. Can this be done and what time frame, if any, is there?

Adopt grandson [ 3 Answers ]

We have had our grandson since he was 9 months old, He is now ten he really wants us to adopt him. What do we need to do to be able to adopt him.:)

My 2 yr old grandson [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am in need of some advice. I have a 2 yr old grandson who is very adorable, loved, and very fortunate that he has me and my husband. Let me start by sharing that as of April of this yr my grandson has not seen his mother. My son has been providing and being attentive to his needs but right...

My Grandson [ 7 Answers ]

My precious little grandson does the weirdest thing once in a while. To explain a little when he was born he was breech, he never crawled, he sat straight up and hopped. He had months of therepy and started walking very late. At about age two he started with these little twitches, his legs go...

View more questions Search