Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa go Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 09:09 PM
    Can the city put a lien on a house because they use it's alley?
    I recently made an offer on my first home, and I was told by my real estate agent that the alley behind the house was part of the property, but the city took it to use it to read meters. Therefore, there is a lien on the property that will always be there, but it's OK , because it's really my property, but the city needs it.
    What does this mean? I always thought a lien meant I owed somebody money and once it's paid off the lien goes away.
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

May 7, 2009, 05:31 AM

This is a different kind of lien. The city wants you to take care of that property as if it is your own but the lien prohibits you barring the city access. If they come to the point that they don't have to back in the alley to read the meters(like they have recently done at my own home) then they release the lien as they have no further need for access.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2009, 06:27 AM

Is this a lien or an easement. It sounds exactly like an easement. The property is yours, but the city cannot be barred from using the property for their stated purpose.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 7, 2009, 06:37 AM
    As Scott said, it's not a lien, it's an easement. That means that you own the property but the city has the right to use it. You have to keep the alley clear enough for them to use it and you can't prevent them from using it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on house [ 2 Answers ]

My Homeowners association put a lien on my house for unpaid late fees/atty fees. I paid my HOA fee late and did not pay the late fees and now I find out that they put a lien on house for the late fees/atty fees. My wife and I are struggling to pay our bills and our mortgage takes up our income and...

Quit claim deed for an alley in Dekalb Cty, Georgia. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a property in dekalb county, and my back yard is small. There is an alley and lots behind me that are undeveloped and are currently woods. I was told that I could get part or the entire alley by obtaining a quitclaim deed from the county. If some one could explain were do I need...

How do I put a lien on a house? [ 3 Answers ]

We were purchasing a house from a friend, on a verbal land contract, we have 2 signed & notarized affidavits stating that they witnessed the agreement that took place between us. This friend quit paying the mortgage company, and it is presently in foreclosure. She has also filed bankruptcy against...

View more questions Search