Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkechi2442 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Unfair treatment
    Is there any way for me to take legal action against my former boss for wrongful termination, and/or deformation even though Maryland is an at will state?
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

May 6, 2009, 09:31 PM

Sure, sue them in civil court. But do your research. Is it worth your time and money to do so?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 01:14 PM

At will means they can fire you for any reason but if you take them to court they MAY need to have a pretty good reason why.
    Defamation? Of character
    Depends on things like if it was true or not and what damage it cost you... like your job and what else?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 01:28 PM

Look for an employment law attorney in your area.

Do you feel you were discriminated against? What is your claim of wrongful termination? For the right reasons, you can file a claim on your own with the EEOC. An employment law attorney will often review your case and possibly assist on a contingency basis - not paid unless you win your case.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 11:02 AM

It is worth pursuing if you have a very strong case and can show that you suffered considerable damages. Unless your damages (money lost) are great enough to both pay you and your attorney handsomely, you will have to pay up front for an attorney. They typically will only take cases on a contingency basis (they get paid when they win a settlement) if you are out a lot of money.

It's worth calling a few lawyers and seeing what they say. Usually though, you're better off just moving on and finding another job. Unfortunately while the laws protect you, to enforce those laws can be very difficult and costly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can probation officer remove you from treatment center whilyou are getting treatment [ 1 Answers ]

Can probation officer come remove you from mental facility after suicide attempts while being diagnises with bipolor disorder and receiving treatment for such denying him prescribed treatment by dr,and through you in jail for discresionary time because he basically soughtr out his own treatment...

Why be unfair? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend named Carla and Cynthia and they are going out and both of them love each other very much! But, The Cynthia's mom does not approve of that and does not want my friend Carla to go out with her daughter. If she does see her around with her daughter that she would get her...

Seemingly Unfair Judicial Treatment in Washington State [ 7 Answers ]

I am in an active Law Suit over a property I bought several years ago. The Seller claims he never signed the Warranty Deed (in front of a notary, no less.) His interrogatories contradict his complaint. (in my favor.) Anyway, he has FREE representation through Seattle University Catholic Law School....

I know it's unfair [ 2 Answers ]

So I am very insecure and sometimes I feel bad about how I overreact to things in my relationship. Sometimes I really wonder if I'm overreacting or not. I live with my boyfriend and I don't know why I really don't trust him, but does anybody out there know of some ways that he can help me gain his...

Is it unfair? [ 10 Answers ]

O.k. so when I found out I was pregnant I had the father of my child, who is 21 say he was going to put a shot gun to my head and kill me and the baby. Now I had called the cops when he had said this to me and he was arrested (not for the first time) and he only spent on night in jail , then his...

View more questions Search