Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsjunk Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 10:53 AM
    Plugging broken waste Y
    I have a cast iron y connection in my 4" waste stack. The former owners used the Y to plumb a bathroom but thier work was very substandard. I pulled all their plumbing and ran a new waste line for the bathroom. My problem is their old y connection is completely broken (the pipe that was originally installed is broken off flush with the "y" hub) and I can't find a way to cap it. I found a threaded lead cap at the hardware store that is labeled "universal cap". Is this something I can thread into the broken pipe that is in the y valve? Is there any other details or methods to blocking this hole?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2006, 11:10 AM
    ". I found a threaded lead cap at the hardware store that is labeled "universal cap"."
    No, You will notice the cap
    's tapered. The cap is meant to thread into a old clean out that has female threads that are too worn to engage a regular threaded cap.

The cast iron pipe that's broken off in the wye has a lead and oakum joint that can be removed by melting it out with a torch.
    Once the old pipe, lead and oakum's cleared away a 4" clean out can be installed in the wye using a DuelTite Gasket,(see image) or by pouring and caulking in another lead jioint. Good luck, Tom
    dsjunk Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 11:50 AM
    Not exactly the answer I was looking for since it's tight quarters and a torch in there sounds like a recipe for a fire, but I appreciate understanding the problem better.

But here's a follow up: Isn't the foul odored gas eminating from this fitting potentially flammable or is that just a myth?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjunk
    Not exactly the answer I was looking for since it's tight quarters and a torch in there sounds like a recipe for a fire, but I appreciate understanding the problem better.

But here's a follow up: Isn't the foul odored gas eminating from this fitting potentially flammable or is that just a myth?
    OK, then let me give you you another option. Drive a screwdriver down through the lead until it's split. Now begain to lever the lead ring up and out. Keep prying the lead up until it comes out and then clear out the old pipe and oakukm. You may now install a DuelTite Gasket and a 4" cast iron clean out. If you need instructions on installing DuelTite Gaskets let me know.
    To answer your question, the methane content of sewer gas makes it explosive. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waste disposal installation [ 4 Answers ]

When installing a disposal doe it matter if the drain line from the disposal is lower than the drain from sink? Will pressure move it on out? Does it have to have it's own trap or is it OK to run it above the one trap that is already in. I am planning on running the dishwasher drain into it as well...

Blocked waste pipes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, While my washer was emptying the other day it began spewing water from the watse pipe and also my sink fills up and is taking an age to empty. I assume it's a blockage so I have poured the usual chemical stuff down to unblock but nothing is working. The awkward thing is that the waste...

Waste Treatment Plant [ 1 Answers ]

Water Is Bubbling Out Of Ground. Every Thing Still Works But I Know That Ain't Right. Please Advise. Sincerely Derwin

Toilets plugging up [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have two toilets on the main level of my home. One is the main bathroom and the other is off the master bedroom. They are about 15 feet away from each other and I believe that they use a common sewer pipe. In the last few weeks they each have plugged up a few times each. It is easily...

Safety when plugging in hardware [ 1 Answers ]

I have read it is wise to turn the computer off before plugging in a mouse or keyboard. Does the same rule apply to plugging a digital camera into a USB port?

View more questions Search