Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kl-smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Force applied to an object
    The more direct a force is to an object will the object move farther
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

May 6, 2009, 04:04 PM

Have you ever played pool or billiards? Think of the cue ball striking the target ball dead center or to one side to cause the target ball to deflect in the opposite direction. Where is the energy expended in both cases? That answer is the answer to your question.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 05:46 PM
    The more direct a force is to an object will the object move farther

Force equals the mass (of the object) times the acceleration (of the object). If you apply more force, the acceleration will be greater. With greater acceleration comes greater velocity. Greater velocity overcomes frictional forces better. Hance, the object moves farther.
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 6, 2009, 10:09 PM
    I'm a bit confused about the wording of the question. Can you explain what you mean by "more direct". I'll stick my neck out and say we're talking about a given object, so mass is a constant for purposes of the problem. Then if we say we have a force of fixed magnitude, say 1 newton, what are we changing to implement the "more direct" concept. Is it the situation suggested by bones, in which "more direct" could be paraphrazed such that "most direct" would mean the direction of the application of the force is directly towards the center of gravity of the object, meaning any direction other than that is less direct?

It seems to me that this is what you probably mean. As such, Perito has provided the equation for you (which I'd hope you already knew), but given the 1 newton force, the actual force applied to the object would be less as the direction of the application of the force offsets from a vector directly through the center of gravity. For the more direct concept then, I'd say consider an offset of 60 degrees vs an offset of 30 degrees. The lessor offset would be "more direct" and a greater part of the 1 newton force would be applied to the object. As Perito said, more force, more acceleration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Happens to an object in motion whne it expenrienes a nonzero net external force [ 1 Answers ]

What happens to an object in motion when it experiences a nonzero net external force?

Object doesn't contain automation object [ 1 Answers ]

Scrolling through Northwind Database sample. 'Opening the "Customer Phone List" Form. When I click on the alphabets below, I receive an information that the "The object doesn't contain the Automation object 'RecordsetClone.'" Please can you explain why and can you help me out? I want to design...

Torque and force on an object [ 4 Answers ]

A 5ft by 5ft square is nailed in the bottom left corner. 3 100 pound forces are applied to the other 3 corners the force applied to the upper right corner is at a 40 degree angle What equations would be used to answer the questions below? I keep finding equations but Im not sure what all the...

The object doesn't contain the Automation object '|.' [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, And thank you for taking this question. I currently support a small Access system and ran into the error mentioned in the title. I believe that the issue is system-specific because I ran the system from my desktop and printed fine. The issue centers around the cmdPrint command function. ...

View more questions Search