Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Page distorted when viewing in Firefox
    The page: www.stgabrielradio.com

In IE it's fine, but in FF the graphic at the bottom of the page has a tweak on it - at the left.

How do I fix it?

... and how do I avoid things like this in the future?

Thanks!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2006, 01:34 AM
    Hi Rick,

Fixing the problem:
    Not sure yet. I had a quick look at 7am this morning and I was just too asleep to get it right :P I'll have another look tonight to see what I can advise.

Avoiding this in the future:
    Don't design a page using Internet Explorer to test it. IE isn't a standards compliant browser (although IE7 will be better). This means that anything you can only be sure that what you design in IE will look good in IE. There's no guarantees that it will look good in anything else.

If you design you site using a more standards complient browser for testing (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari) then you can be sure that it will look the same on all these alternative browser and it should also look good on IE. If it doesn't look as good on IE then there are certain easy "hacks" you can make to ensure smooth running on IE.

Also some extra points - Try to move away from using tables for layout. It's not what they are for. Also, using blank images for adding whitespace is also rather messy. It makes the code harder to read.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2006, 03:20 AM
    Thanks, LT. That site is one I volunteered to take over after the gal who made it quit... so so much of it is unlike the typical site I do. I'm so dumb about it I did not even recognize that there was a blank image there for white space :o

I'm using Dreamweaver - and I thought that somewhere buried in it was a browser compliance check that might point me to the problem on that page, but after digging, I see that it only checks for compliance in IE. Sheesh.

Thanks again, LT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox: Saving a web page to my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Sometimes when I save as a webpage to my computer, then the page saves as one .html file. Other times it saves as the .html file but also with a folder with other files. Why is this? Can I force it to save as just one file without the extra folder? Thanks!

Home Page Diverted in Firefox [ 3 Answers ]

Whenever I start up Firefox, my home page (a local file) comes up for a second and then is diverted to something like: http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion/1069001133/?random=11... This is a blank screen. This is a new problem, and does not occur with Internet Explorer. If I...

Reload page in Firefox [ 4 Answers ]

OK, a bit trivial... but I'm curious. I understand that hitting the Reload button compares the page with the server and if the same, shows you the cached version... Sometimes I see my flag not waving. I hit reload and it still doesn't wave... but if I hit Shift>Reload then it reloads and is...

Blocking a web page - Firefox [ 4 Answers ]

I want to simply block a webpage. I'm using Firefox. This may be simple, but I could use a little help. Thanks.

Home Page different on IE & Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed my Yahoo home page is different in Firefox & IE. What would the reason be for this? How do you change these pages to look the same?

View more questions Search