Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3kids Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 07:20 AM
    New Cement Driveway Curmbling
    Last August we had a cement driveway put in. We did not notice until the winter thaw
    That our cement driveway was crumbling and flaking off.

The gentleman that laid the cement said, "you did not have it sealed". I did not know
    Cement had to be sealed against ice, snow and salt. They are the professionals, not us.

He said he will put a thin resurface on it and then seal it, will this work?

Right after the pouring of the cement it started to rain, they put a tarp on it right after, could this effect the curing of the cement?

Thank you in advance
    3kids
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    (1.)"you did not have it sealed".
    (2.) He said he will put a thin resurface on it and then seal it, will this work?

(3.) Right after the pouring of the cement it started to rain, they put a tarp on it right after, could this effect the curing of the cement?
    1b. That's a bit of smoke and mirrors. It's the concrete Contractor to bring up that point no matter what>>> The BASIC reason is the "sealing" is normally done buy the person that poured it to make sure the right quality of sealer goes on. That protects his guarantee of his work. Also it's a sales thing for more money to make. It can even be pushed to the point that the "sealer" is an option and the warranty on the Crete is off to get that sales. Its not normally in a bid or mentioned until After the bid is awarded. Sealer are good but what kills me is after its done the first time its all forgotten. Sealers are like paint it needs redone after so may years in outside flat work.

2b. You can resurface it the driveway but only on top of a sound surface which yours isn't. It takes a LOT of prep to get that. Convenience stores do that here once in a while but it looks like crap for a very very long time. UGLY

3b. If any measurable amount of rain got on the top and not reworked into the subase top then the top becomes weak and "sandy" This is where I would suspect the problem here is more. Can you post a picture for me to look at. Also do you know the PSI it was poured at?

Water from rain could have an adverse effect on the strength of the finish while finishing it or before the finish is done and set up enough

Do a scratch test with a screw driver and see if it seems easy to scratch, Salts on fresh Crete more and old play a big part here for top failure as does time of year pouring "freezing" top before cured.

Many times concrete isn't sealed. Residential concrete sealers have been around for a short period compared to concrete drives and walks. I have walks now sitting for 30 years that have no problems. Even my own walk has no sealer on it and its been there for 14 years and looks great.

The PSI on the Crete has a lot to do with it and how you work the top for "Crete Cream"
    3kids Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 07:51 PM

Thank you, you have been helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interlock driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I am thinking of putting in an interlock driveway, right now it is just gravel. I am thinking about doing the work myself this summer, but need to know about the base that I would need.

I used pvc cement instead of all purpose cement [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced some old pipes with cpvc and then realized that the cement was not all purpose, just pvc. Will it hold?

Should I resurface my asphalt driveway or get a complete new asphalt driveway [ 3 Answers ]

My asphalt driveway looks so bad that my insurance company has considered it a serious hazard. Do I resurface the existing driveway. I have a contractor telling me that he would level the existing driveway and place a 2 inch top coat of asphalt on top. Will a resurface last just as long as a...

Cement Driveway Moldy? [ 7 Answers ]

What can I use to clean my cement driveway that appears to have a dark mold on it? It even becomes a little slippery when it rains. There was a very large oak tree on the side of the driveway that I had removed close to a year ago. I thought that maybe shade from the tree may have helped in...

Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I made a verbal agreement with someone who was supposed to dump some dirt on my property. I clearly stated that my driveway would only handle the weight of a 1-ton dump truck. I come to find out that this guy used a single axle or 10-ton dump truck to haul this dirt. The weight of the truck...

View more questions Search