Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SDGrandma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Non-compete clause
    I work for a non medical home health care facility here in South Dakota; I have had 30 years of experience in health care and decided to form my own company. In our local newspaper last Sunday I had a small article which promoted the beginning of my business venture to provide non-medical assistance to folks in their homes. It will be about the same as what I am currently doing now with my employer. My employer apparently saw this and is making noise in a round about way through other people that I signed a non-compete clause. I am working a very few hours for my employer while I get my business up and going, but I do have plans to meet with some potential clients next week. I most likely did sign a con-compete clause and am wondering how I should proceed from here.

[email protected]
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 6, 2009, 09:15 AM

I do believe that a non compete clause can carry a time limit, and a geographical area, otherwise they are pretty binding. If you had a copy of the one you signed that would be handy to find out the above.

Does your new business differ in any way from what you did for your previous employer?

They can't control the whole state, but they can enforce the clause.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Compete clause [ 1 Answers ]

If you sell a business and sign a no compete clause and the business closes, do you by law have to honor the no compete

No compete clause [ 4 Answers ]

I recently lost my job. I would say, I was fired. They never really came out and said it. I have been with the company for almost 8 years. I did sign a no compete agreement. I live in a "Right to work state". Will this clause hold up? All I want to do is work and earn a living. The area I came from...

No compete clause [ 5 Answers ]

How do you get out of this so you can work in your field

No compete Clause [ 3 Answers ]

My Husband is in sales for trucking he worked for a company that he had signed a no compete clause, about 10 years ago he has never been compensated for signing this, the original owner died and left the company to his daughter who has never worked a day in her life although she is out fire...

Non-compete clause [ 2 Answers ]

If a salesman signed a non-compete clause in the industrial industry 6 1/2 years ago and the contract terms have changed without signing a new non-compete clause is it enforceable? He is not privy to "trade secrets".

View more questions Search