Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lixi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2006, 08:56 PM
    Another emission of odor from shower drain
    I have foul odor coming from the bathroom which sweeps through my apartment. I have a stacked washer/dryer combo in my bathroom, along with the shower, sink, and toilet. The sink and toilet have traps installed. The washer and dryer do not, I have been told by the building manager. He stated that straight pipes were installed underneath both washer and shower and that management is aware of this problem, however because of cost of repair, it will not be fixed. He tossed some plastic covers to me and told me to cover the drains when not in use and this would fix the problem. I am unable to lift the washer to place the cover over that drain, and it definitely smells worse after I have ran a load of laundry. The cover does not block out the odor emitting from the shower drain.

This is a newly renovated rental building (within the past 12 months) and I am the first occupant in my unit.

Advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Chapter 7, Section 701.1 of The Standard Plumbing Code states; Plumbing fixtures. Excepting those havng integral traps,(toilets) shall be separately trapped by a water seal trap, placed as close to the fixture as possible.
    Section 703.1 titled "Trap Seal" states: Each fixture trap shall have a water seal of not less then 2 inches and not more then 4 inches.
    By leaving the washer and shower untraped the building owners and manager have left you with a direct open connection between the city sewer and your apartment. Sewer gas is harmful to your familys health and the methane content makes it explosive, to say nothing of being against the law to C.O. a dwelling that failed final inspection. It's unbelievable that this building passed inspection and received a Certificate of Occupncy. The Health and Building Departments should be notified at once and the dwelling brought up to code. This is a potentiality dangerous situation and should not be allowed to continue. Notify the proper authorities at once.
    Please keep me in the loop, this is too important to place on the back burner. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

We’ve lived in our new house for one month. There is a pungent broccoli and dirty sock odor coming from one of the three bathrooms. Prior to moving in, the plumber dug up the slab to add a shower and moved the drain for the tub. This is a one-story and all drains in the bath are going to the same...

Shower odor [ 1 Answers ]

Home built in 1990 on a sewer system. Strong odor from trap smells like sewer. Plenty of water in trap. The water drains perfectly when shower is in use. We use it every day. Had plumber check it and is has pleanty of wter in the trap. Odor comes and goes. I extracted a table spoon of water from...

Bathroom Drain Odor [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Having Problems With Odors Coming From Both The Shower And Sink Drains In Two Of My Three Bathrooms. They Are At Opposite Ends Of The House, On Different Septic Tanks. The Strange Thing Is That The Odors Only Happen When It Rains. Even The Slightest Amount Of Rain Will Cause The Odors. I Feel...

(Another) Odor from basement shower drain problem [ 3 Answers ]

I know, not another question about shower drain, but I have a problem. I have searched this forum, and read some helpful tips for getting rid of the odor from the basement shower drain. The problem is, about two weeks ago for the first time since I have moved into my house (8 months ago) I...

Shower Drain Odor [ 1 Answers ]

Our guest shower has a sewer odor, and we have repeatedly filled the trap, but odor remains. It drains very fast, so is probably not clogged. Slab house in AZ, is there likely a roof vent for the shower only? Toilet is nearby. Know nothing about vents.

View more questions Search