Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    munlikefatfat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 09:50 PM
    Wave length
    a) A string 1.75 cm long under tension is set in vibration so that five antidotes are produced. What is the wavelength of the vibration?

b) A cord of mass 200grams and length 2.5m is stretched between two supports 2.2 meters apart and given a tension of 678N.
    I)How long will it take for a pulse to travel from one support to the other?

ii) What are the first three resonant frequency will the string produce if struck?

C) By what percentage should the tension on a stretched string on unknown length and mass be adjusted for the fundamental frequency to change by 10%?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by munlikefatfat View Post
    a) A string 1.75 cm long under tension is set in vibration so that five antidotes are produced. What is the wavelength of the vibration?
    I'll show you the first one. You try to figure out the others.

a) The graph, below, shows a string with five anti-nodes. The distance from left to right is the length of the string, 1.75 cm. Since there are six nodes, you should be able to figure out how much distance there is between two nodes. However, a wavelength goes through a full cycle -- i.e. up and down - so the distance between two adjacent nodes is just half the wavelength.
    Attached Images

bhysics Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 10:14 AM

Yea---
    The figure tells it quite good...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting Slope arc Length to Flat Arc Length [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Given parameters are:- Slope arc length Angle on Slope

Wave equations! [ 1 Answers ]

hi I've got two questions and was wondering if you could help: 1. if a deep water wave has a period of 18 seconds, what is its speed of travel? I no that speed= wavelength/ period but how do you go about doing it without knowing the wavelength? 2. for a wave of wavelength 280 m, what is...

Long wave length light therapy: [ 5 Answers ]

Hi to all; Has anyone worked with 800 to 850 nm light? Many thanks for your time. Statictable

Wave superposition [ 2 Answers ]

We are given 2 wave equations as follows: y1 = 25 sin(wt - pi/4) y2 = 15 sin(wt - pi/6) wt=omega * time Find the resultant amplitude, phase, and equation for the wave based on the superposition principle. The 2 equations above have the same frequency. Any help would be great. Thanks

View more questions Search