Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Is it a good idea or a bad idea.
    My daughter is 5. and she has developed this habit of getting up in the mornings at 3am and getting into things in the fridge and cupboards for late night snacks. I have tried fridge locks and cupboard locks, but she is just too darn smart and figures them all out!

My question is, would it be cruel of me to lock her in her room at night to keep her out of mischief and even possible danger in the wee hours of the morning?
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

May 5, 2009, 08:18 PM

Does she know she isn't supposed to be getting up to get snacks? You can try giving her consequences such as time out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2009, 08:19 PM

Never lock them in their rooms for their own safety.

You can put a motion detector in the hall or kitchen to wake you, so you can properly punish her for doing this

What punishments have you been doing, no TV, no computer, no games, time outs, spanking?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 08:49 PM
    I'm a bit concerned that posters are talking about punishments (such as spanking!) for a 5 year old that may just be hungry. Two things I would ask:

1. Is she eating enough during the day and before she goes to sleep?
    2. Why is she waking at this time of the morning - is she sleeping poorly, or is she hungry?

I think that the most important thing is to get to the core of WHY she is behaving like this before anything else is done.

In any case, in the meantime, why don't you put locks on the cupboards and fridge that are keyed, and keep the key under your pillow at night.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 5, 2009, 08:56 PM

I think motion detectors are the best idea. Are you sure she is awake when she does this? I ask because there is a sleep eating disorder where people get up and eat in their sleep, which is different from waking up for a mid night snack.

If she is complaining of hunger you might want to have her checked out by the doctor to make sure she is getting all the nutrients she needs during the day. It might help to remind her during the day that she is supposed to eat enough food to last till morning.

I would be afraid to lock her in her room for safety reasons, however you need to explain to her that it is not safe for her to be up alone during the night. Good luck
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

May 5, 2009, 08:57 PM

My mom used to give me snacks by my bed that were easy to eat and healthy such as wheat crackers or something and a glass of water.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    I'm a bit concerned that posters are talking about punishments (such as spanking!) for a 5 year old that may just be hungry.
    I think 'punishments/consequences' were suggested because the OP stated that she was concerned about the child's safety. I don't think anyone was specifically suggesting a particular brand of punishment, but simply asking the question as to what methods she is currently using.

If the child is hungry, I think Kara made an excellent suggestion of leaving out a healthy snack so the child won't try rummaging in the middle of the night. She'd probably be less likely to scavenger on her own if something was easily available to her.

OP, maybe try giving her dinner a little later or giving her a snack just before bed (then leaving something else out if she still wakes in the middle of the night).
    High protein snacks such as cheese, yogurt, and nuts/peanut butter will "last" a little longer would be great right before bed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2009, 09:12 PM

And a hand to the rear is still a very good method to convice children to change their way, if other methods fail. It is a true and proven method for years.

It is of course not the first method, but most certainly one of many that can and should be used.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 09:23 PM

I have tried spankings, and time outs and taking things away. I've tried taking away trips to grandmas house, and no TV and no swimming and things like that.

I give her plenty to eat at dinner time and the rest of the day. She doesn't always eat all the food I give her at meal times, and she gets snacks during the day too

We are in an apartment so I can't put perminant locks on the cupboards or fridge unless someone knows a non perminant way to do it?

I will try the bed time snack. That is a good idea.

Maybe soemtime this week I will stay up all night and watch her do this to see if she is 'asleep' while do it.

Thank you everyoen for the input.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 06:51 PM

My nephew started doing this and one night my mother caught him at the fridge with juice all over the floor and himself and she knew something wasn't right. She called an ambulance and after all the tests came back he was diabetic. This may be more then just hunger at work. You may want to seek the advice of a doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would this be a good idea? [ 1 Answers ]

My mans grandpa died awhile back and he really loved him a lot so I was thinking about calling my mans mom and see if she has some pictures of his grandpa,I really want to make a scrapebook and put some photos of his grandpa,his son he doesn't get to see much,and some of me and him since we are in...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

Is ged a good idea? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm a freshman and I guess I don't do good in school... well I definitely don't do goodthis quarter I got n u u n u u f and last quarter I got a 57 average and only passed one class( the way my school works is the firrst quarter of every term you get alpha grades like S G E U or N) and my mom...

View more questions Search