Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momchah Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 04:47 PM
    My nine year old lies a lot
    My nine year old lies about just about everything. Like when I find something of mine in her bathroom she will lie and say she didn't put it there. Her sister lives with her dad and she is the only one here. So it had to be her. I don't know how to get her to tell the truth. Its always just little things. But recently she told me something that is very upsetting. So I don't know whether to believe it. She only told me this because I asked her. Does anyone have any advice to give me on this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2009, 04:50 PM

And what punishment are you giving, time outs, no TV, no computer when she is found lying

May 5, 2009, 05:14 PM
    I ground her to her room for a day
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 5, 2009, 06:14 PM

Have you had a talk with her about you two being on the same team, so there should not be a need to lie?

May 5, 2009, 10:00 PM
    I have tried sitting down with her and asking her why she lies all the time I have tried grounding her. And its not just me that she is lying to its her friends and their mom, her dad and his wife, her sister and everyone else she comes in contact with.It has became a problem and it is really irritating everyone. I have run out of things to do.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 6, 2009, 06:01 AM

I would suggest taking her to a child psychologist then because you do want to do everything possible to help her find a better way to go through life than being a liar. Good luck.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

May 14, 2009, 12:36 AM

Start by telling her how much you love her. NO matter how much trouble she may be in she needs to know that you love her and you will always be in her corner, and you will walk through the good and the bad with her. Just give her that little reasrrance she so despreatly needs.

May 14, 2009, 03:37 PM
    Thank all of you for the help I really appreciate it. I will try to sit and talk with her again and see what happens
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 08:19 AM
    I'm reading a book called "Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days , by Dr. Kevin Leman. I highly recommend it.It hits on your problem directly on what Fr Chuck said about the punishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worried about 19 year old daughter who lies [ 6 Answers ]

I am extremely concerned about my 19 year old daughter. She has been caught twice now stealing checks from her father and I, one of those time was from her grandmother. She is incapable of not spending money and will lie about it until we catch her by checking bank accounts, etc. I have also...

17-year-old son lies about going to a rave [ 6 Answers ]

My 17-year old son has a 15-year old female friend with whom he spends a great deal of time. Her mother would not allow her to go to a rave downtown on the weekend, believing she is too young. Her consequence for going would be a lengthy grounding. When at our house, I explained to both my son...

My 12 year old son steals at school and home and lies [ 10 Answers ]

My son is a constant liar and now he's become a thief even more so. He steals at school gets caught he steals at home and gets caught he gets punished for his actions but nothing seems to work, he sees a therapist on a weekly basis and that don't seem to work, he's very manipulative and knows how...

17 year old male, a lot of questions I need answered. [ 6 Answers ]

Wow, I've thought for a while how I would do this and I am really quite nervous discussing this openly for the first time... Well, first of all, penis size.. Im around 15cm erect, and from what I've heard this is quite small.. I think I've practically gone through puberty, I've had a very deep...

One year of lies [ 11 Answers ]

Hi Everyone I have a problem. I was dating this guy long distance ( I am 28 yrs old and he was 30). We met and he really liked me. I wanted to only be friends because we didn't have a lot in common and on top of that I had just gotten out of a relationship a few months back. To be honest, when I...

View more questions Search