Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sndgrush Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Manufactured Home
    Are manufactured homes always titled as vehicles... or can they be re-titled as homes?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 03:31 PM

Some manufactured homes can be converted into real estate when the original title is surrendered to the county recorder's office. If the home is situated upon property that you own and the home is so many square feet (usually 1,200 sq ft) and the home is on an approved crawl space or a full basement, yes the home can be converted into real estate and tied into the property's deed.

Before you go doing this I would highly recommend you contact your individual county's recorder's office and asking them for the specific local laws regarding this practice. Some counties are very picky about this and have very restrictive criteria.

Most single wide homes will not qualify. Almost all double wide homes will qualify if the above conditions are met.

All modular homes qualify as they do not have a title but have a MCO (manufacturers certificate of origin) that is surrendered to the county.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 05:16 PM

If you're asking about insurance (since this was posted under Home Insurance), they can be insured as homes provided that they are on a permanent foundation.

As Twinkie mentioned, there may be certain restrictions that vary by state/county.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manufactured home title [ 23 Answers ]

My mortgage company states they do not have a title for my manufactured home and neither do I. The NCDOT states that a title was never filed with them. The place where I bought my home is no longer in business. I am wanting to sell my home but can't without a title. What are my options?

Manufactured home [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a neighborhood where houses go for between$700,000 -$1,000,000+ range in the Bay Area.Would there be something wrong with having a pre-fab house built on my lot?Would it diminish the value of the house vs. a traditional constructed house?I need to tear down my house in the future and...

Repossession of Manufactured Home [ 4 Answers ]

I co-signed for someone to purchase a MH. Long story short-The lending company (Green Tree) called me. The person in the MH is 3 months behind and they wanted me to pay the amount. I told them(GreenTree) that if the payments aren't being paid then go get the MH. The rep from Green Tree then told me...

Manufactured home in my [ 6 Answers ]

We own a 1999 Skyline Woodfield home, we purchased it new in 1999. We are the sole owners, and have been trying for years to sell it, move it... rent it! NO LUCK-- We found land last year, and tried getting it moved to land ( it is land ready) No bank will finance it saying it won't appraise...

View more questions Search