Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zanec Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

May 5, 2009, 10:41 AM
    AC not working on heat pump
    I have a AC unit that's not working and it's a heat pump. When it's in cooling mode, the condenser fan motor doesn't work but the compressor does. Then it shuts down on high pressure. First thing I think that it's a bad condenser fan motor or maybe a cap. Since it's a heat pump, I probably should have checked to see if the condenser fan worked in the heat mode, right? Because they said the heat worked. I think it might be the circuit board in the condenser. What do you think?
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 5, 2009, 01:39 PM

The defrost board could be controlling the fan, but odds are that it's a bad capacitor...
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

May 7, 2009, 05:20 AM

Replacing the cap is a cheap and easy fix. If that doesn't do it and the motor is good you're only left with a controlling board as a fault.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump

Heat Pump But Aux Heat Not Working [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a relatively new house (2.5 years) that has an American Standard Heat Pump (2a6b3018-060a1000a). It also has some form of American Standard aux heater (bayhtr?? ) in the air handler. This is controlled by a Panasonic TH8000 thermostat. We have had a long period of cold weather here...

Heat Pump Stop Working. [ 1 Answers ]

Dear, My Heat Pump has suddenly stopped working even though we set the thermostat in Heating mode. When I hit the contactor to test the compressor, it ran fine. So, there is obviously nothing wrong with the compressor. What are the possible causes of the problem? My stat is the Vision Pro 8000 and...

Heat pump atop working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old Lennox electric heat pump that at first kept tripping the circuit breaker. It had just started tripping the breaker this last month. I used to be able to reset the breaker. Now when I try to reset it, it goes back to the off position. One HVAC personnel came out and said...

Blower on top of heat pump not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Coleman heat pump that is less than 2 years old and has worked well up until a couple of days ago. Now, the air conditioning and the heat will not work, but the fan and furnace still works. After checking things out myself for small problems with the electrical box, etc, I noticed that...

View more questions Search