Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

May 5, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Smoke detector doesn't detect smoke
    I have two smoke detectors. Good batteries and when I push the test button the alarm works. But I just filled the house with smoke from an unwatched pot on the stove. Neither smoke detector alarmed.

I assume they are defective. But how common is this? And if the test button doesn't reliably indicate they are working, how do you check them?

Thanks,
    Walt
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

May 9, 2009, 10:44 AM
    I haven't had a problem with one that doesn't work with good batteries installed.
    The way I check mine is to hold a lit match near them, by standing on a chair
    And holding it as close as possible without touching the plastic. As soon as
    There is any smoke from the match, the detectors start to sound. (Be careful
    Not to drop the match)
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 05:42 PM

If u smoke, blow smoke from cigarette in it.

Chuck
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 08:34 PM

Here is a proper way to test:

SM-200 - Smoke! In A Can Smoke Detector Test Spray - Home Security Store

There are two kinds of smoke and two kinds of smoke detectors.

Photoelectric detectors will go off from dust or steam.

Ionization type detectors have a small amount of a radioactive element in them. It will only detect something actually burning. These have disposal instructions on them as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke detector go crazy. [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the smoke detector goes off if the tempurature in the house get really cold? My smoke detector goes off in the middle of the night when the tempurature in the house drop down below 60 degree. I have about 8 detectors around the house, so I unplug four and the rest stop. So I...

1999 Toyota Duet Smoke excessive smoke emission [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have problem with too much emission of smoke. Even more excessive smoke in the morning. Can't even see anyone around the vehicle!! Took it to toyota for diagnostics they discovered valve seal leaked and oil dropping on top of number 1 piston. Have changed the valve seals but still same...

Electrical Smoke detector [ 6 Answers ]

How do I remove a hard-wired smoke detector. Please. UnelectrocutedsofarMike

Smoke Detector Requirements [ 7 Answers ]

When I put up my garage addition, the city inspector said that I had to put a smoke detector in each bedroom, in addition to the two I already had in the hallways. This I gladly did. My question is, how come the city code does not require smoke detectors in the garage(s). Vehicles can and do self...

The physics behind a smoke detector? [ 3 Answers ]

I am doing a physics "how things work" project on a smoke detector, and I need to get in contact with an "expert" on them, who knows how they work, and the physics behind them. If someone could help me out.

View more questions Search