Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psebastian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Dryer Problem - popping circuit breaker
    Last night we stared have a problem with our dryer. When the dryer is running it pops the circuit breaker after 5-10 minutes. I check the wires and heating element and they seem to be fine.
    Any ideas or suggestions – I’ve got clothes that need drying.

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2006, 12:56 PM
    The problem may be with the circuit breaker. Changing a breaker requires you to open the panel. If you decide to try this, shut off the Main Breaker to kill the interior of the panel, however, keep in mind the wires feeding the Main are still live, if the Main is in the same panel.

The breaker is plugged onto tabs, you may have to gently force the breaker off these tabs by prying gently with a screwdriver.

Inspect these tabs, should be clean and shiny, no evidence of carbon,pitting,arcing, etc. If they are damaged, then the panel needs to be replaced.

Or the connection of wires on the breaker may be loose.
    daddysmurf Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 09:09 PM

Eevn though the breaker is tripping this sounds more like an appliance problem than an electrical problem. Why, the breaker is doing it's job! I'm sure you have stayed out there by the unit until the breakeer tripped once you reset the breaker and turn the dryer on feel the top . I know you looked at it, elements in dryers are normaly coils the break may be hard to see .
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 03:49 AM
    Dad, the original post is dated 9/24/2006.

The warranty is over on a new dryer by now.
    nanncee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 06:38 PM
    I have the same problem so we bought a new dryer-does that mean it's the breaker even though it was replaced when the old dryer tripped it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c popping main breaker [ 4 Answers ]

We purchased a reconditioned unit to replace an older unit in a mobile home. The unit worked in the shop where we purchased it. We hooked up the 2 110V lines and then turned on the thermostat to cool. Immediately following, the main 100 amp breaker popped. We then disconnected the thermostat wires...

Switch keeps popping breaker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was try to hook up an outside light to an existing connection for a friend. The original install consisted of using the circuit from the receptacle used for the refrigerator, to power the switch for a light in panty and outside. First off the switch is a duplex type, or a double switch...

Circuit breaker popping [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new refrigerator and the circuit braker for the air conditioning keeps popping. We live in Central FL by Daytona and it is really hot right now but we can't keep the air running. Help!!

Changing circuit breaker for dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I have built a new laundry room in our basement and will be moving the appliances down shortly from the main floor room. I put in a new dryer electrical outlet and ran the appropriate wire to the circuit panel, but was wondering how difficult is it to now remove the wires from the current dryer...

Gfci breaker popping [ 8 Answers ]

After installing a second outdoor fan, I tied into an existing fan under an enclosed porch.I decided it would be smart to install a gfci breaker to protect them (vs the standard breaker). The circuit is tied into my kitchen an outdoor spot lights. With all the individual light circuits either...

View more questions Search