Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xintoledo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 07:01 AM
    My minor nephew molested my minor daughter
    Approximately 10 years ago, my sister and her children visited for a weekend of swimming. My daughter, then about 6 or 7, went up to her bedroom and was followed by my 14 or so year old nephew. My daughter has recently told us he approached her and touched her either through her suit or around it, then offered her to touch his penis, apparently having it out. This all came to light almost ten years later when my daughter told my wife. We have no proof but my daughter's statements, she cannot give us a date it happened. My nephew a few years later, was sent away when it was proven he, when he was 17, had sex with an eleven year old.
    My wife and I are furious he did this and want to prosecute. My daughter is now almost 15, and my nephew is in his 20's. How do we pursue this?
    I confronted my nephew, and he claims he does not remember anything like this happening, my sister and I are now on non speaking terms because of her denial.
    My daughter has been to consoling sessions which have helped her deal with this.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 08:00 AM

It is probably beyond the statute of limitations. So nothing can be done except to possibly notify the courts that he might be a habitual sex criminal and let them take it from there.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 5, 2009, 08:02 AM
    The person who is counselling your daughter has a legal obligation to report the abuse, has she done that?

You should contact the police and also file a report with as many details as you can remember.

I would then seek legal advice on how to proceed, immediately.

This has haunted your daughter for a long time, and that you are doing the right thing, no matter how much time has passed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 5, 2009, 08:40 AM

Jake is right, the therapists has a duty to report it. But I would seriously doubt if anything will be done. The SOL may indeed have past.

And since your nephew was convicted of statutory rape, he is probably on a sex offender registry that will follow him for the rest of his life. So there is probably not much more you can do to him.
    Emotional Health Expert

May 5, 2009, 08:53 AM
    If he was convicted of a sexual offence at age 17, would he be on a registry? I always presumed it was adults.

May 5, 2009, 09:03 AM

I would think having sex with an 11 yr old would go beyond normal statutory rape issues and that he would have been charges as an adult
    Emotional Health Expert

May 5, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Good.

No doubt there is a history.

May 5, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xintoledo View Post
    My wife and I are furious he did this
    I'm going to say something here that you are probably not going to like. I may even be out of line here. But I think it needs to be said.

At 6-7 your daughter should have been taught about bad touching. She should have been taught that she should report any attempts at bad touching to her parents. And I think that is a part of your being so furious. I think you are both feeling a bit guilty that you did not protect your daughter.

I say this because I think you and your wife need to get some counseling as well. I think you need to resolve these feelings that are probably subconscious, because I don't think you will get any satisfaction from the courts. With the time gap and lack of detail, you are unlikely to get him prosecuted for this crime. Without him being punished by the courts, your anger, both at him and yourself, will fester and grow.

I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended, to help you deal with something no parent should have to deal with.
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 5, 2009, 11:55 AM

I am not sure anything can be done with the courts, but I would report it anyhow, if for no other reason but to do everything you can to make sure justice is done. The rest is out of your hands. I don't think it will make it better, but I do believe there is a loophole in the statute of limitations when it comes to minor children. Many states have exceptions of the limitations because often times memories of abuse and molestation are repressed so the events are not remembered sometimes for decades. It doesn't hurt to file the report.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minor dating a minor.3 year difference, does it matter? [ 13 Answers ]

OK I turn 16 on April 28th, this girl turns 13 in September, I thought I heard something about a law stating something about it being illegal for someone to date 3 years younger than them. She's just a couple months off,and she is really mature, but I'm worried about her parents being able to...

Minor minor accident [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys,nice to be here again... I just want to ask about my friend's case and I can't give her any opinion because I'm not sure what should I tell her. The story was, she hit a car in front of her on the side street, but it when they check the back of the car, there was no any scratches or dent or...

Sex with a minor [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is 17 years old and the boy she is seeing just turned 20 in May. She told me two weeks ago she is pregnant. Every since she found out he is harassing her calling her, fighting with her stating he is going to take the baby from her. Can I press charges against him for having sex with a...

Sex with a minor [ 11 Answers ]

My ex who is 18 now lost her virginity a then 27 year old when she was 16, this being northern ireland she was just a minor. No one knows about this apart from me and a few of her friends. I want him to pay for what he did as I see it being sexual abuse. Do I have any right in reporting it to...

My ex had sex with a man when she was a minor [ 79 Answers ]

My ex who is 18 now lost her virginity a then 27 year old when she was 16, this being northern ireland she was just a minor. No one knows about this apart from me and a few of her friends. I want him to pay for what he did as I see it being sexual abuse. Do I have any right in reporting it to...

View more questions Search