Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    code4me Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 07:41 PM
    #4 aluminum wire in PVC Conduit
    Is it per code to run non direct burial aluminum cable in a PVC conduit underground. I thought I had read where since aluminum wiring heats up more than copper it could cause problems. I am going to run 150 feet of conduit.. Tks Jack Schmieder
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 4, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Is it per code to run non direct burial aluminum cable in a PVC conduit underground. I thought I had read where since aluminum wiring heats up more than copper it could cause problems. I am going to run 150 feet of conduit.. Tks Jack Schmieder
    Yes, as long as you do not exceed the conduit fill limitations, the conductors are rated for wet locations, and the burial depth is in accordance with the tables in article 300.

As for heat:

-the heat problems associated with using aluminum wire have to do with different coefficients of expansion between aluminum and copper, causing connections between aluminum wire and copper terminals to work loose. Make sure your connections are approved for aluminum wire. It has nothing to do with resistance heating along the wire's length.
    -While it is true that aluminum has a greater resistivity than copper, which makes it heat up more, this is compensated for by requiring a larger size wire for the same amount of current. As long as you install using the tables in article 310, you will not overheat the conductor. You may also want to do a voltage drop calculation to make sure the wire is large enough.
    -heat is also a minor consideration in buried cable. Soil (particularly wet soil) is a very good conductor of heat, and what would you burn underground anyway?
    code4me Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Thanks ohbob. That answers my question... Jack

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to safely wire aluminum to copper wire [ 5 Answers ]

I am switching a non-programmable t-stat to a Honeywell 5-2day programmable one that is for baseboard, covectors and fan-forced heaters. The model number is RLV430A. I have a wall Cadet heater so it should be OK. Problem is when I opened the package the wiring on the t-stat is aluminum. ...

Copper or Aluminum wire [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I just replaced my Suncutter Package system with a Goodman Package system. The question is should I replace the (main power supply to AC disconnect) aluminum wire with copper? Thanks Brian

Can you use Metal Conduit as ground to convert 2 wire to 3 wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to convert an old cinder block house from 2 wire outlets to 3 wire by adding a ground to all outlets. Since the entire house is cinder block, all the circuits from the basement breaker box are in flexible metal conduit and metal outlet boxes... Is it possible to use the metal conduit...

Hampton Bay light - aluminum wire? [ 1 Answers ]

My Hampton Bay light fixture (sku 141531) has one white and one black wire (stranded 18AWG) which are a silver color. I tried scratching to see if copper is under some coating, and cut a piece off the end to see if the end showed copper, both with no copper showing. Is there a way to confirm if the...

Junction box for #2 aluminum wire [ 3 Answers ]

I need to join a new 100A feed on #2 aluminum wire to an existing #2 wire running from the panel. So this is actually #2 alum triplex in both cases plus a #8 bare copper ground. The junction will take place in an access panel in the wall where the two PVC conduits meet. What size junction box do...

View more questions Search