Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    friedar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Word 2004 indent and bullets operate on whole document
    Hi, When I indent a paragraph, all the paragraphs in the document become indented. Same for bullets. When I hit Undo once, all the paragraphs EXCEPT the one I wanted to format, go back to what they were before. So this is how I have to indent, bullet, etc. single paragraphs - it takes an Undo action to get it right. Based on this I think there Word is in some automatic mode. But I cannot figure out what mode it is in. This is true for any new document I create.

I've looked in Preferences and in Tools/AutoCorrect/"Autoformat as you type", (all options checked except first one) and Tools/AutoCorrect/Autoformat (all options checked). But these are the same as my pal who is not having this problem.

Thanks for any ideas on this. BTW I am on Mac 10.5.6, fully updated.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 4, 2009, 03:19 PM

Look under FORMAT > STYLES and NUMBERING. If you go in through all the options and fish around, you will find in the Style Settings for "Normal", the default paragraph style. Click on MODIFY and you're looking for the "automatic update" option... uncheck that.

You can select specific styles in your documents to "auto update" and others to "not". So if you decide to change the default font for "normal" paragraphs, changing it in one paragraph would change it in all of them. The same for headings. You can see the benefit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2009, 03:21 PM

Word is VERY paragraph centric. It sounds like you are changing the underlying style of the paragrpah, so all paragraphs formatted for that style get changed.

I would suggest reading up in Word Help on Styles and Formatting to understand this better.

By the way there is no Woird 2004. Office and therefore Word versions when from 2000 to Xp to 2003 to 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jpg to word document [ 12 Answers ]

I have received a scanned word document that is in jpg format. Is there a way I can take jpg and paste it into Word so I can work on it?

How to unlock a MS word Document [ 3 Answers ]

I have used a password in MS Word 2003 in saving of document, but I have lost my password to open the word document . Can you plase help me how to open the locked document?

Convert a vista word document to an office 2003 word document [ 1 Answers ]

How can I convert a vista word document to an office 2003 word document?

Converting .pdf to word document [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I need help in converting a "read-only" document to an editable document. I have an online presentation that allows me to customize the introductory page to meet the company's name and other information. But when I download the presentation, it is downloaded as a .pdf document. ...

Word 2003 indent problem. [ 4 Answers ]

Link to the Word 2003 problem image. Ever since I installed Word 2003, the margins of pages have been huge. I tried resizing them to my likings, but I couldn't get a perfect fit (The standard default that I'm so used to). Does anyone know the default or can give me a configuration to make them...

View more questions Search