Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelgurlama Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Trying not to lose my son
    My son's father and I have been separated for about 9 months. He is finally moving out, and I'm scared that he is going to try to take custody. He is mentally and physically disabled. He is currently unemployed, and is moving back home to his grandparents. I am working a steady full time job. Going to be living with my fiancée, who also works a steady full time job. In the state of Virginia, what grounds do I have for custody of my 10 month old son?:confused:
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

May 3, 2009, 10:27 PM

ITs time to get some advise from a lawyer . Heere in our state which is Washington we have a court liaison which is free and helps people file paper work and she will talk to the judge personally for you.. I would look in to that at your local court house. They could answer a lot of those questions.. Do you have a parenting plan? You may have to go to court to re avaluate your plan. Take note of everything he says or does anything to might can be recored.. Your best bet is to get in ans talk to the judge... Best of luck
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 06:30 AM

I would gauge the chances of losing your son as being very low. If you are remaining local (you say VA, but not if that is a move from where you are now) a regular visitation plan may be awarded.

As the above poster mentioned, speak to the court and see about filing for custody. Since you currently have physical custody, the court will have to find a solid reason to change that. It does not sound to me (an uninformed outsider) like his situation will be any better for the child... and that is what the court will consider... the best interest of the child.

Get a lawyer/advocate and file your custody paperwork. Also, apply for support (possibly SSI if your ex is eligible)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should they be lose? [ 6 Answers ]

My son is 6 years old and recently lost his lower front teeth. They are growing in now and are about 1/2 way up. My question is while flossing his teeth I noticed they are a little wigly is this normal?:confused:

How do I lose it? [ 5 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and weigh the most I have ever in my life. I am currently at 150. I am curious to know if anyone knows any free dies to help give me a jumpstart. I would love to lose 20 pounds. Any ideas? Please let me know!:D

How many pounds do I need to lose to lose 1.5 cm or .6 inches to my waist? [ 1 Answers ]

If it helps I'm 5 feet 10 inches, 141 pounds, my waistline is 32 inches, and my bodyfat percentage is 16%.

401 K and lose of job [ 10 Answers ]

My husband thinks he may lose his job, we have two 401Ks with this company, one is from a previous company that was purchased by the company he now works for. He is unable to do anything with that 401K, except when he leaves the company, it has roughly $17000 in it, and the other has roughly...

Can We Lose Our Car? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband recently got a notice of Garnishment for our bank account for a repossession of a car. If he was to file Chap 7 alone, could we lose our current car? I was also on the re-possed car as co-owner but I am not on this one. I am also on disability, so they can not garnish my disability...

View more questions Search