Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gemini108 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 10:06 PM
    Husband recently left without any warning.
    My husband of 11 years recently told me "he is no longer interested" in "this life" and has left, without any warning. I am still partially in shock, partially livid. I did not expect any of this and have no clue as to how I am supposed to move on with my life. Am in a state of complete confusion.
    PunkDragonfly Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2009, 11:08 PM

He wasn't man enough for you. He left you because he wasn't confident in himself. For whatever his reason was you should be strong and pursue a better life for yourself. Every ending is merely a beginning for something more rewarding and fulfilling. Best of luck God bless!

Amy
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 4, 2009, 01:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini108 View Post
    My husband of 11 years recently told me "he is no longer interested" in "this life" and has left, without any warning. I am still partially in shock, partially livid. I did not expect any of this and have no clue as to how I am supposed to move on with my life. Am in a state of complete confusion.
    That must have really been a knock out emotionally when you didn't see it coming.

Were there any signs? Does he have any problems that you are aware of? Maybe drinking or depression, job loss etc.

11 years is a long investment in a marriage. Do you think that he will sit down and talk to you about what's going on?

With so little information, I wonder if he's gone for good, or gone for a break, or what he's planning to do. How do you know for sure that it's permanent.

Are there are any children? I hope that he will at least explain his behaviour enough so you know which end is up and how to proceed.
    Dragonfly1234 Posts: 161, Reputation: 49

May 4, 2009, 08:27 AM

I'm really sorry that you are going through this and although I don't have any advice to offer you, I do however have some food for thought; someone once told me something that I have come to realise is very true. One decision/event in your life cannot make or break you. A single event cannot ensure or destroy your chances for happiness, even if it may be hard to believe right now.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 06:31 PM
    I feel really really sorry for your distress.

It does strike me though, that after 11 years you would have a sense of what your husband was thinking and feeling. How is it that you had no clue that he was unhappy and wanted a different life?

If you can, you need to speak with him so that you can understand what was behind this drastic move, understand your part in it and most importantly make arrangements for your future.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2009, 07:31 PM

First you make sure you transfer all the money out of any joint accounts into one with you're your name, so he can not get any money you may have.

You then look at your income and budget and figure out how you are going to pay the bills.

You get an attorney file for divorce, for alimony and if there are children child support

You then go though stages, but remember this is not your fault and you work one day at a time to move on
    rxnarunner Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2009, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    First you make sure you transfer all the money out of any joint accounts into one with your your name, so he can not get any money you may have.

You then look at your income and budget and figure out how you are going to pay the bills.

You get an attorney file for divorce, for alimony and if there are children child support

You then go though stages, but remember this is not your fault and you work one day at a time to move on
    Great advice
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 02:15 AM

I feel for you. My husband went through a very unpredictable and difficult change in personality at a certain point in our marriage and similarly dumped me and many other aspects of his life that had, at least I thought, been very important to him. I do not know what snapped in him to this day, and just do my best to parent our son with him. It's a long process to figure out but you need to know that he fired you and so you have to be as selfish now as if you'd been fired from a job. His mindset is selfish, and yours has to be focused on what is best for you and your children. Protect the money - hugely important to get that stressor under immediate control. Make a list of your fears related to this situation, and then address each one with a plan. Fear of no money? How can you increase your current income, or return to the workforce if you've not been working? Find people who are experts in these areas, look into community resources.

Also know there is no shame in your situation. More than half the adult population goes through marriage devastations, so find a local church or somewhere you feel comfortabled that offers a divorce support group and go now, even if you're not sure you will end up divorced. You will get some support and companionship that you need to get through this.

See a lawyer right away and start getting things sorted out. You can get an interim order to manage financial matters and that alone relieves a lot of worry. Then you can think about getting full custody of your kids with him getting visitation, whether you want to keep your home, and so on. If you meet with a lawyer, they will have you do specific things at specific times in a specific order and it will take a lot of that a"what should I do" feeling off the table and replace it with tasks that can be very useful as distractions to get through this thing, as well as moving you in the right directon practically.

Best wishes and God bless. It's hard but it's not a tragedy - there is life after these things work themselves through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recently married, husband is nonresident alien [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, In 2008 my (then) fiance's K1 visa got approved and we got married in September in the USA. He's from Mexico and we went through the normal K1 process (he's from Mexico, we met in Mexico, his first time in the US was after the K1 approval). Here's a little more info: January-August he...

Sister left husband in CA and left state with baby [ 1 Answers ]

Ok this is a big mess and long story so for those of you that read it all thanks. My younger sister just moved back in with me with her 9 month old daughter. It started that she met this guy and got pregnant. They were going to get married and then things started getting really bad so she left...

Husband left [ 4 Answers ]

I was married to a man who met a woman on the internet while I was eight months pregnant and left me. He left me and three young kids because he stated that he did not want a family anymore. I don't use drugs, alcohol, I consider myself a beautiful person inside and out, educated, and good mother...

My husband left, what do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband left me 2 months ago, not only did he leave me but he left 6 children as well. We have been married for 20 years and I don't know what to do? I live at home with 4 of the children because my 2 oldest daughters are in college and I'm helpless. I don't have a job and I just got a permit to...

Wife recently left home with our child [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, I am new here and need a bit of help, my wife of six years recently left home and took our 4 year old little girl with her. It was not a huge shock since we had been having problems but she was the one who was being unfaithful and I was the clean one. We are not separated or divorce...

View more questions Search