Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Suing Former Employer
    I was a server at a restaurant in New Jersey for approximately 6 months. During that time, the restaurant operated as a pool house. Included in the tip pool were servers, runners, bussers, bartenders, dishwashers and managers.

I have also worked in restaurants in NY and Conn, where labor laws clearly state that salaried and management level employees may not receive any portion of server tips. It is my understanding that NJ law does not address the subject in any way.

Former employees of this NJ restaurant are preparing to file a lawsuit to recoup tip money paid to management and have asked me to join the lawsuit. I know of many similar lawsuits in NYC that have ended in favor of the employees, but I am not aware of any cases in NJ.

So my questions...

1. Do the employees have a legitimate case considering that NJ law does not address the issue?

2. By working there of my own free will, can it be argued that I understood and agreed to the terms and conditions of the job?

3. Does anyone know of any similar cases in NJ, if so, what were the results?

4. If the employees lose the case, can the owners countersue for damages?

I am conflicted about weather or not I should join the lawsuit. On one hand, I do not want to contribute to the glut of unfounded lawsuits in the country. On the other hand, my gut tells me that they used my money to pay their managers, allowing them to make greater profits. I realize that law is not black and white, but I would appreciate anyone's input on both the legal and the moral issues involved.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwoodhull View Post
    Included in the tip pool were servers, runners, bussers, bartenders, dishwashers and managers... .I am conflicted about weather or not I should join the lawsuit. On one hand, I do not want to contribute to the glut of unfounded lawsuits in the country.
    Hello jj:

Tips are NOT for management. This lawsuit is NOT unfounded and I'd join.

No, I don't know if you'd win, but you should.

excon
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Thanks for the advice, Ex. That is the direction I am leaning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contacting Employer an employer ethically [ 2 Answers ]

I am applying for a job out of state that I found on a search engine. The ad provides an email for where to send all inquiries/resumes. However, after doing some research, I found the direct supervisor for the position and her direct email address at the company. Is it ethical/appropriate to...

What questions does past employer have to answer by new employer [ 1 Answers ]

If a new employer calls your old employer, what questions will they answer.My concern is that I have been unemployed now for 6 months,and am concerned that my prospects are frowning on the fact that I have been out of work so long. I may just be overreacting as this is the longest time I've been...

H1B transfer - whether current employer know about the new employer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts Currently I am on H1b visa with company A. I would like to transfer this to Company B. I heard that Company A will not know that it is transferring to Compnay B during the transfer. Is this correct? Also, after successful transfer to compnay B whether USCIS will send any...

Suing an american employer [ 1 Answers ]

I was employed by a Canadian subsidiary of an american company that closed down a month after I was constructively dismissed. Is it possible to sue the american company in small claims court for severance pay?

View more questions Search