Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    midcenturymodern Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Indirect waste to floor drain
    I have a large mostly glass, indoor garden room and would like to add a basin of some sort to soak plants, water orchids (most of the water drains off), etc. I have easy access to a water supply but no drain. Directly below the garden room is the boiler and hot water tank on a concrete floor with a floor drain. The room has a separate door to the outside and is well ventilated but no access from the rest of the house. I do not see a vent pipe for the floor drain. The house was built in 1962.

Is there any way I can use that floor drain as an indirect waste receptacle. It is 7 ft below the garden room and is at ground level. Opening the lower floor is difficult and expensive due to being thick enough to contain the lower floor forced air heating ducts. I don't expect putting a pipe to the outside of the house into a gravel bed would be acceptable. Someone suggested a bucket but I would forget to empty it:)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
    " I don't expect putting a pipe to the outside of the house into a gravel bed would be acceptable."

Why not? You're not connecting to the house drainage. Option number two would let you pipe the drain to a few inches over the floor drain and terminate it there. This would be a indirect waste. For convenience sake I would reduce the drain line to 3/4" PVC. Since neither one ties to the house sewer a trap isn't needed on the fixture,however if you decide to go for the outside drain I would build a trap out of elbows at the terminal ends to keep out the bugs and crawly critters. If you don't wish to build one you can purchase a 3/4" condensate drain trap from any Air Condition Repair shop.
    Good luck, Tom
    midcenturymodern Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Thank you Tom,

The plants and I appreciate it!

Loren

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Waste Vent Outside Kitchen Smells [ 5 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined :mad: Our house is 4 years old. We are on town water and sewer, no septic tank. There is a Drain Waste Vent on the outside wall of the house, directly behind the kitchen sink area. The end of the vent has a slotted cover. Approximately 1 month ago, I noticed that...

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search