Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommyusa Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Replace Brant standard thermostat with HOneywell thermostat
    HI guys, I have a Bryant Heat Pump system with axilaury heat and A/c, I want to replace the Honey programmable thermostat, but still reluctant to install it myself since the wire label different.
    My new Honeywell model is TH6110D1005 and it has following wire label.
    G
    O/B (W)
    C
    Y
    R
    Rc

Both R & Rc come with a jumper, and it indicated only to be removed for two transformer systems

My old Bryant thermostat has following label
    W
    O
    G
    R
    C
    Y

Any expert out there please help me. Thanks a bunch
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 07:42 AM

Are you sure your new stat has no more terminals? It should have a e and a aux and probably a L if it does not the stat you have is for heat pump only. Not heat pump with auxilery heat. You will need to take it back and get a 2 heat 2 cool stat

May 3, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    are you sure your new stat has no more terminals? it should have a e and a aux and probally a L if it does not the stat you have is for heat pump only. not heat pump with auxilery heat. you will need to take it back and get a 2 heat 2 cool stat
    Yes, I'm sure. I think I just got the conventional heat with heat pump. But why it has to be 2 heat 2 cool, instead of 2 heat and one cool. Please explain.

Thanks greatly for your help.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:19 AM

It can be 2 heat 1 cool, but it must be one that will do heatpump with aux heat. Coventional with heat pump has no connections for the aux heat

May 3, 2009, 04:36 PM
    it can be 2 heat 1 cool, but it must be one that will do heatpump with aux heat. coventional with heat pump has no connections for the aux heat
    Thank you Josh, Once I exchange my thermostat, I'll ask for your expertise again.

Thanks
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 07:52 PM
    The thermostat you bought will work. The aux heat will come on when the system goes into defrost mode. The only down fall is that it will not bring on the aux heat if you have a 2 degree swing on the temp of your thermostat.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 07:55 PM

T-top

How will it bring the aux heat on when it is not wired up? If it gets cold outside it will never keep the house up to temp. not only that but he will not even have emergency heat.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 07:59 PM
    The heat pump is what turns the heat strips on in defrost mode all hvac techs know that don't they.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:00 PM

All techs also no that this stat will not work. Inless you live in florda and do not need back up heat.

May 4, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top View Post
    The thermostat you bought will work. The aux heat will come on when the system goes into defrost mode. the only down fall is that it will not bring on the aux heat if you have a 2 degree swing on the temp of your thermostat.
    Josh make sense, and you also make sense, since my Bryant thermostat doesn't have the axilaury connection heat either. Base on my Bryant wire code with the new Honeywell TH6110D series, what is your recommendation of connection. Please explain. I've look at the Honey well TH6220 which is 2 heat 2 cool, but the wire connection is more complicated. Please let me know what is your recommendation.

Thanks a bunch

May 4, 2009, 05:14 PM

And also, on my old system, whenever it goes below at least 3 degree inside the home versus the setting, the EMT heat will kick in, but within 2 degree, it won't kick in
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 05:20 PM

How many wires do you have at the t-stat?
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 05:21 PM

And what city are you in?
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 05:23 PM
    I am not sure how your emergency heat is kicking in if you have no E at the stat? But yes you can wire it up the same way as the old stat and use it that way, bu you will not get emergecey heat. What does then new stat say? 1 heat 1 cool?

May 4, 2009, 05:26 PM
    And what city are you in?
    I have 8 wire, but only 6 wires are being use by my Bryant thermostat as shown on the list. Would you please takes a comparison between the Bryant and Honeywell labels and let me know what wire go with what.

I'm living in Lafayette, In which is about 2 hours South of Chicago. The weather is very cold up here. I was dumb enough to get the heat pump instead of gas heater for my home.
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 05:30 PM

Sure,

R- red jumper to rc
    g-green
    y-yellow
    o/b-orange
    c-probally blue
    But you have no place to hook the white with this stat

May 4, 2009, 05:33 PM
    I am not sure how your emergency heat is kicking in if you have no E at the stat? But yes you can wire it up the same way as the old stat and use it that way, bu you will not get emergecey heat. What does then new stat say? 1 heat 1 cool?
    I don't understand either. This is out of my league. But my Bryant theromstat show, cool, heat, EMT, and fan if I push the mode button.

All the wire connection are used as shown on the list.

I'm scratching my head now and trying to figure out what to do.
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 05:34 PM

Are there any other terminals on the old t-stat that are not being used?
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Maybe this is why you do not get good heat. It may not be wired right.

May 4, 2009, 05:35 PM
    sure,

R- red jumper to rc
    g-green
    y-yellow
    o/b-orange
    c-probally blue
    but you have no place to hook the white with this stat
    So you saying that I still need to connect the R with red wire and still leave the jumper in between R & Rc??

But the White one is giving me a dilema.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help to replace thermostat Honeywell T841a for Hunter 44155c [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to replace my T841a 1712 Non-Programmable Heat Pump Universal Thermostat for a Hunter Model 44155C, but I can't make the new unit work.:confused: The Honeywell thermostat has the following connections: Color Cable Terminal Blue -----> X Red -----> W2 ...

Replace old Honeywell timer thermostat [ 19 Answers ]

I have 2 old Honeywell timer thermostats - on 2 floors - wired to my boiler (we have radiant water heating). Both function poorly and I would like to replace with standard round manual thermostats. Problem - I took one of the timer thermostats off the wall - it has 3 wires coming in - 2 black and...

Honeywell thermostat: Replace filter indicator [ 1 Answers ]

I lost my user manual and want to stop the "Filter" needed indicator on my Honeywell T8600D Chronotherm IV Deluxe Programmable Thermostat. The filter was recently changed, so a new one is not needed. How do I stop "Filter" from flashing? "HVAC1000" had earlier asked for the exact model number....

Replace lennox thermostat with new honeywell RTH7400 [ 1 Answers ]

My old thermostat is to be replaced by a newer honeywell programmable RTH7400. The wires on my Lennox are as follows: O,G,Y1,R,L,T- ( jumpered to C ),W1,E. The W1 wire is connected to the old thermostat. Pretty easy here, but the T is not used anymore and the Y1, W1 wires ire throwing me off?...

Replace new honeywell thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced an old 6 wired thermostat with an new honeywell RTh230B 5 wired old has o = orange r = red G1 = green Y = yellow W2 = whithe C = brown

View more questions Search