Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    max_powers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 07:33 PM
    Pf usage
    I was wondering why my pf usage sky-rockets every time I open a specific folder. This folder is used to store all my Utorrent downloads. My system runs at about 375mb (pf usage) when hardly worked, then when I open this folder (named Downloads) 5 seconds later the pf usage goes up to 500mb then 700mb then 900mb then 1.2 gb. This causes my PC to hardly work and crash. When I manage to close down the folder window the pf sometimes goes back to normal and if not task manager has to be used and I end some processes. Sometimes its possible to close the window before the pf gets past 500mb. If I don't open this file then my PC runs like normal,

If somebody can shed some light on this topic I would appreciate that.. .
    dagrafixman Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Dec 10, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by max_powers
    I was wondering why my pf usage sky-rockets everytime i open a specific folder. This folder is used to store all my Utorrent downloads. My system runs at about 375mb (pf usage) when hardly worked, then when i open this folder (named Downloads) 5 seconds later the pf usage goes up to 500mb then 700mb then 900mb then 1.2 gb. This causes my pc to hardly work and crash. When i manage to close down the folder window the pf sometimes goes back to normal and if not task manager has to be used and I end some processes. Sometimes its possible to close the window before the pf gets past 500mb. If i don't open this file then my pc runs like normal,

If somebody can shed some light on this topic i would appreciate that . . .
    Unfortunately, if you are downloading things from Utorrent, & not checking them for viruses, it is more than likely, your OS is infected. To rule this out,(If you want to save all those downlaods copy that folder to a CD/DVD or another partition if you have one.)
    Un-install Utorrent & reboot your PC(there are other torrent apps out) See if this solves your problem, as the download folder will still be there.

If it doesn't you should scan your PC for Trojans, Worms & Viruses, a great site to do this is: http://housecall.trendmicro.com

See if your OS is clean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU usage at 100% [ 20 Answers ]

My computer recently started to be very slow. I have a 800 mghz pentium. I'm running XP. I did a complete virus scan with Norton and found nothing. When I look at the processes, I can see the CPU is running at 100% most of the time. There's no specific file that is using all the power. Why is...

Explorer.exe at 100% CPU Usage Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm on my laptop explorer.exe starts to use 100% of the CPU and I can't figure out y. It lasts about 10-20 minutes form when I start the computer and occasionally lowers then peaks again to 100%. I really need to figure this out because the cooling fan comes on and its really starting to get...

Electric Usage [ 8 Answers ]

I live in an older residential neighborhood that has overhead pole transformers. For several years now I have been trying to figure this out. My neighbor has an increasingly grown manufacturing shop on his residential property (MU Zoned). When his shop is running at full load, My electric...

CPU Usage Remains at 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, I discovered the CPU usage on one of my PCs will not fall below 100%. I've attempted everything I can think of to resolve the issue, including: - Running Ad-Aware SE - Performing an online scan from Trend Micro - Performing an online scan from Panda Software - Running Registry...

CPU Usage @ 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I log onto the Internet, my CPU usage goes from like 2% to 100%. Once the page loads, it dies back down, but then when I click a link and try to load another page it goes back to 100%. Plus, the Comcast logo spins, then stalls, then spins, then stalls until the page loads. It never...

View more questions Search