Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susan_williams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Daschund Abuse
    I have 2 Daschunds that we got 3 months ago, that were abused, they urinate and poop in the house they don't bark to let me know they have to go. Now that winters coming It's harder to get them out. The Younger one is afraid of everything , loud noises big trucks, she doesn't even know how to play, she just sleeps, her tail is always between her legs, when she see us she does wag her tail . The older one seems more normal, he plays ball, loves to run, but he will urinate if I don't watch him,some-one please help I need some advice. The dogs are well loved here, and I don't know what else to do.
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Sep 23, 2006, 12:50 PM
    Do you have any idea how old these poor little guys are? Where did you acquire them? If you can get some history on them that might help. It sounds like one needs to be trained for outdoor bathroom habits. The other one needs a lot of TLC. Try giving them treats and lots of praise when they do their thing outside. I think the answer is in the past. Good luck and hang in there.
    renaleelah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Can you teach an old dog new tricks? My two doxcie's don't bark either when they have to go outside. So I taught them to ring a bell when they have to go out. Tie a bell (like a little christmas one) on a string and hang it on the door in which they exit. Every time you take them out hit the bell with their paw and say whatever phrase you use to go outside . My older one learnd in a week but the younger one took two months. So have patience. PRASIE PRASIE PRAISE... Good Luck.:) ;)
    DavidandNanny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 06:25 AM
    I have 2 also... The male is fine,but the female is afraid of everything... leaves falling, loud noises, rain, etc. we trained her to paper... we are all much happier.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 07:04 AM
    I agree with much of the other posts. You need to build the females confidence much like with the submissive wetting. Start with obedience training. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ As you praise the dog for following your commands, it will build its confidence.

Play tug of war with the dog and lose. However at the end of the game, take the rope or toy and put it up, less the dog becomes confused about who is top dog.
    Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Finally, make sure it has a den to live in. If you are not using a crate, buy one. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work.
    Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at
    feeding time for more than one dog.

It is only natural that a puppy resists its crate at first. What the puppy
    wants more than anything else is to be with others, you, anyone else in the
    household, and any other pets. In our modern society, even if we are home,
    other things distract us from the attention an uncrated puppy must have. The
    only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up.

Start all over again with housebreaking following this method which includes training them to go to the door.

Housebreaking starts before you get home with the new puppy. If you don't have
    a crate, buy one. I prefer the more enclosed, den like plastic ones. Skip the
    bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking
    hazards. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. If you
    already have a metal crate, covering it may help. Just make sure you use
    something the puppy can't pull in and chew. Dogs that start out in crates as
    little puppies, accept them very well. Never leave an unattended puppy loose
    in the house. If nobody can watch it, put it in the crate. I suggest letting
    the dog have its crate all its life.

Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays,
    the less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a
    non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it
    to the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep
    repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. If it does anything,
    praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it,
    and maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it,
    but it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it
    inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to
    go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine.
    Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, take it back
    inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the
    house until it does go.

At first it is your responsibility to know and take the puppy out when it
    needs to go. It needs to go out the first thing in the morning, after eating,
    drinking, and sleeping. If it quits playing, and starts running around
    sniffing, it is looking for a place to go. Take it out quickly. You will just
    have to be what I call puppy broke until it is a little older.

By the time most dogs are about 3 months old, they have figured out that if
    they go to the door and stand, you will let them out. The praise slowly shifts
    to going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If
    your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it
    even gets near the door. A stern "Bad dog!" is all the punishment that is
    Effective, and only when you catch it in the act and are sure you didn't miss
    It going to the door. Clean up accidents promptly. I mostly keep the little
    Puppies out of the carpeted rooms. Still I need the can of carpet foam
    Sometimes. First blot up all the urine you can with a dry towel. Keep moving
    It and stepping on it until a fresh area stays dry. A couple big putty knives
    Work well on bowel movements. Just slide one under it while holding it with
    The other. This gets it up with a minimum of pushing it down into the carpet.
    This works with even relatively soft ones, vomit, dirt from over turned house
    Plants, or anything else from solids to thick liquids. Finish up with a good
    Shot of carpet foam. Note, do not let the puppy lick up the carpet foam.
    Once the dog is reliably housebroken, your carpet may need a good steam cleaning.

Many people strongly strongly push cleaning up all evidence of past accidents. I am slower to suggest that. Dogs will return to the same spot if they can find it. When you see one sniffing the spot, that is your clue to run it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Abuse and suicide [ 16 Answers ]

I'm 18, I was sexually abused by my dad for a long time. It wasn't just my dad but his friends. My mum knew about this and did nothing and it is never spoke of. I can't bring myself to tell anyone about this! The feelings have got worse as I have just found out my dad has died, I lost contact...

My grandchild abuse [ 6 Answers ]

My grandchild will be two very soon my daughter a single mom has a drinking problem and anger issues.tell me what you think I have been helping her take care of him . Pick him up one Sunday about a month ago and the baby sitter said he fell out of the highchair call her right away she was out...

Abuse? [ 10 Answers ]

I don't know where to start... I am wondering when behavior becomes abusive. My husband and I have been together for 13 years and I don't know if I am in an abusive relationship. I'm not even sure I want to know. We met in highshcool and shortly after I became pregnant, 3 months to be...

Is this animal abuse? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a neighbor that don't feed his dog and don't give him water I always do it because I feel bad for the poor thing he is always crying from starvation and thirst he looks like the owner use him for fighting because he is all scared up and two days ago he was running loose on the street and I...

View more questions Search