Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2006, 06:40 PM
    I need an inventive idea for hurt kitten...
    Hi everyone,
    You may have seen the picture of the kitten in the post "please pray for the stray". If not, I have a kitten who was attacked by a dog, the vet stitched her up and put a drainage tube in. Wednesday, the drainage tube was removed and everything looked good.
    This morning I noticed that she had been pulling and chewing on her wounds causing some of the stitches to come out. She created more lacerations and it looks really bad. I took her to the vet, they said for me to keep it covered with a baby diaper or a baby onesie. Problem is the diaper is causing the skin to rip and she gets out of the onesie.
    I tried using one of my husbands socks as a sweeter by cutting a place for her head and legs, and she got out of it.
    They told me not to rap it because it needs to breath and heal from the inside out. She's making it worse because she won't leave it alone, causing the damaged dying tissue to tear into the healthy tissue. She goes back to the vet Monday morning, but until then, what the vet told me to do is not working.
    I'm so lost as to what to do... or use... I just don't know what to do... I'd post a pic so you could see what it's doing, but I'm afraid I'll sick people out.
    HELP:(
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 22, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Wow, she slipped out of one of those one-piece t-shirts (onesies) for babies! Cats are reat "acrobats."

I know the vet wants it to breathe, but what about some gauze wrapped around it? Gauze is breathable and used for wound care in hospitals.

Just a thought. Poor baby, I am sure she is probably very uncomfortable.
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2006, 01:26 AM
    Hi J9,
    Yes, onesies for babies - She's 2 lbs and slips right out of the newborn size, which was the smallest I could find, for babies 5-8 lbs. I even tried taking up the slack with a rubber band, but she makes a "whole body effort" to get out and succeeds. I feel that by being in the onesies, instead of it protecting the wounds from her chewing on them, she's causing more damage by struggling.
    When we were at the vet, I asked if I should rap it, they said no... no raps... no gause... I was so nervous at the time, I didn't ask "why?" or "what if?", I just assumed that the diaper and onesie would work until Monday. However, when they didn't, I did rap it with an open weave cotton gauze. I raped it several times around her (3 or 4), but took it off a little while later because I started worrying that it wasn't able to breath. Gauze, to me, seems like the only thing that's going to work in all aspects - I don't know why they said "no". Do you know how many times I can rap it around her for the wounds to still be able to breath as much as they need to? Or what I should pay attention to while rapping it? Some of the tissue has also turned gray since the vet visit- they did say it was dying... but I can't imagine this being "OK" until Monday. Does dead tissue spread to healthy tissue? Is it harmful to be left on the body until Monday? Is it normal for things to get worse before they get better, and if so , why does it happen that way?
    I'm sorry, I know I have a million questions... If you can offer any advise on any of them, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. This situation is totally over my head - the closest thing I've ever done to taking take of wounds would be sticking a bandage over a scratch.
    Other than all that, there is no infection and she's on an antibiotic to prevent one - I keep her area real clean...
    Another thing the vet told me to do that I forgot to list was to make an Epsom salt solution and dip her in it 3 times a day. Once again, I didn't ask the vital questions... So I'm clueless as to how much salt/water and what it's supposed to help with.
    Thank you for taking the time to care and read. Thank you very much.
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Sep 23, 2006, 05:02 AM
    Did you vet give you a collar? A similar thing happened to my dog, and the vet gave us one. It looks kind of silly but it works. It goes around the animals neck and prevents them from being able to chew on the wounds. It kind of looks like an umbrella. You could probably make on with some cardboard. It's like a donut. When you put it on the animals neck it can't reach it's body to chew. Maybe you can use the gauze on it's feet.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Sep 24, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Hello,

You can try a product call Vet wrap. You can wrap the kitty’s little paw and it will prevent kitty from scratching. I use it all the time for the guinea pigs that come into the rescue that have mites and are scratching the affected area, kitty will not like it but I guarantee you it will work. You can pick this up at any tack or feed store that deals with horse. It will cost you about $1.95 a roll,

Donna

Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Donna,
    I got her the pink!! Great stuff!! Thanks!!
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Sep 24, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Oh my goodness, did it work for you, it works for the guinea pig, I love that stuff. I am so glad it was of help to you. I had thought about you off and on all day, wondering how you were making out. Well good luck (O;

Donna
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 24, 2006, 06:28 PM
    If all that does not work, and you want her to look cute, how about Doll Clothes!!

I had to get some baby doll clothes for my daughter who was around 4 pounds, worked great! Don't know how it will do on a kitty, but might be cute!!
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Thank you everyone sooo much for caring:)
    The Vet wrap booties:p and the baby doll cloths:D have been a great success!!
    Has anyone heard of anidine therapy??
    Two wonderful people I know, who are Home Health Physical Therapists - one specializing in wound care, have been kind enough to volunteer their time and anidine machine to help this kitty heal. She has two 30 minute treatments daily.
    It is a miracle how this machine is healing this wound that the vets thought she would not make it through.
    After 4 treatments the wound has significantly filled in, lost all the oder, has started drawing closed, has lots of new granulation tissue, good circulation, nice coloration, and healing at an incredible rate.
    YEA!!
    She going to make it!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2006, 08:30 PM
    Update!!
    I'm happy to say that Kitty is almost completely healed. Nothing but a scratch now!!
    Thank you for the great ideas for keeping her wound clean and safe. I used them and they truly worked and we thank you.
    Kae
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Oct 12, 2006, 08:26 AM
    We'd love to see an updated picture of your rescue!
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 12:54 AM
    Sure thing... I took these pictures of her tonight.
    All the dark gray fur on her back is growing over the new skin. The wound was huge and all open. As it healed from the inside out, it drew up causing the ripples.
    For the most part, I think it healed wonderfully. She'll have the gray hair marking the spot for life, but I don't think anyone will mind, considering what she went through and how she got it. It makes her special... Don't you think?
    My husbands afraid no one will want to adopt her because of it. But I'm confidant someone is going to fall in love with her.
    Name:  kitty1.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  75.4 KBName:  kitty2.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  24.7 KB
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 12:56 AM
    Oops, two of the same, and then the other to the side. Hope you can see it.
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Oct 16, 2006, 03:46 AM
    I think she is gorgeous! You did a wonderful job saving her life, and I agree with you, someone will love her for her "difference".
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Thank you Melinda,
    It really means a lot to me to hear that from someone else.
    Kae
    clvassallo Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Get an elizabethan collar. I'm surprised your vet hasn't recommended it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need SERIOUS Help with gift idea! [ 6 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and have been bestest friends with Tess since we were 4 years old, yep that's 18 years - a really old time. She is very dear to me and the truest friend I've ever had but that also means we've given each other every possible B-day and Christmas gift under the sun. Seriously, I am...

I have nooo idea what to really think. [ 9 Answers ]

All right. I know I need to go see a doctor. I have been trying to, and it is just a bit hard. So to hold me over for now, I guess I would just like an idea of what to think. And I would appreciate it if someone would help. I have asked about 3 people about this, and none seem to know what...

An idea [ 1 Answers ]

I have an idea, maybe I should order one of those blow up male dolls, Just to see how he reacted to that, maybe he will join in or just pop it and start having sex with me again. :rolleyes:

Have an idea [ 2 Answers ]

This is a really good place to get your own websites. I use it for my own business. Its only $4 a month with no hidden charges. You do not have to know web design, If you can use this site, then you can easily create an effective site of your own. No software to buy or download. Everything is...

View more questions Search