Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2004, 03:41 PM
    Linux OS Suggestions
    Hi all,

I know there are a few Linux peeps out there, so I was wondering if they could help me choose a version of Linux to run on my PC.

So far I've tried Gentoo, Suse 9, Red Hat 9 and Mandrake. Out of all of those, Mandrake is the only one I have got to work. Red Hat installed fine, but I could never get it to boot. Suse just never installed for some reason. Gentoo doesn't boot because I made some mistake in the lengthly installation procedure.

So basically, can anyone recommend a decent linux environment. I'm not new to Linux, but I'm far from a regular user. A automated install would be nice too.

Any suggestions?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 26, 2004, 07:45 PM
    Re: Linux OS Suggestions
    Hi all,

I know there are a few Linux peeps out there, so I was wondering if they could help me choose a version of Linux to run on my PC.

So far I've tried Gentoo, Suse 9, Red Hat 9 and Mandrake. Out of all of those, Mandrake is the only one I have got to work. Red Hat installed fine, but I could never get it to boot. Suse just never installed for some reason. Gentoo doesn't boot because I made some mistake in the lengthly installation procedure.

So basically, can anyone recommend a decent linux environment. I'm not new to Linux, but I'm far from a regular user. A automated install would be nice too.

Any suggestions?
    Glad to see you're interested in Linux. :)

As far as choosing a distro goes, you're on the right track. Just keep trying until you find something you like. Everyone prefers something different. Personally, I love Slackware. It doesn't have as much automated configuration as mandrake, so you'll need to read a lot of docs, and re-use your current XF86Config-4 file. Slackware is very flexible, simple, stable, and fast. It assumes you know what you are doing. :)
    To hear the long story: http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=110030

(Note, you probably just want to go to the end of the thread, as the beginning is highly outdated and even refers to Caldera OpenLinux, which no longer exists as Caldera (SCO) has gone over to Morgoth and... well: http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=109715

justlinux.com is a great help forum, you should check that out :)
    Just be sure to always search the forum first. PLEASE don't ask: which distro, how do I install nvidia drivers, how to I restore windows bootloader, I hate sco... those have been asked way too much :) :) :)

Pengiun Power!

~psi42
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2004, 08:59 AM
    Re: Linux OS Suggestions
    I am using Mandrake and the KDE environment. The younger members of my family prefer other versions, but feel this is best for a beginner like me. Sometimes it is a little slow, but is is very stable and almost never crashes. I can laugh at the warnings about doom and other viruses.

The help I need is hard to find. I have the book Linux for Dummies, but it and the built in help seem to be telling me how to torque the main bearings, when I just want to find out when to change the oil.

You can post specific questions here. I may or may not be able to help.

LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2004, 09:30 AM
    Linux OS Suggestions
    OK, thanks guys. I may give Slackware a shot, but I'll probably end up going back to Mandrake as it's the only one I've ever got working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hobby Suggestions [ 17 Answers ]

I have a brainstorm for you AMHD persons. I need a hobby :D This is what I like, my cats, my dog, my rabbit, I like to read (when I am not cleaning, working 8-5, or laundry.) I feel I would be a more happy person if I had a hobby. I live on an acreage, which I moved to for my husband. I...

Any more suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't started anything to lighten my under arms. I have been reading all your experieces and greatly appreiate your input. I'm medium/dark tan skin and have pretty dark underarms, knees and inner thighs. This has always been an issue for me and have waited too long to do something about...

Suggestions.. portugal [ 3 Answers ]

I've never been to Lisbon, Portugal and will be spending 5 weeks there. Anyoen have any suggestions sites to visit, places to go, things to do. Anything really. (include night llife if you could :-) ) Also, anyone know if there are beaches near Lisbon? THANKS

Need Some Suggestions [ 17 Answers ]

Well, My Problem Is My 9 Mth Old Daughter Will Not Sleep In Her Own Bed. She Will Not Sleep Anywhere Without Me! I Try To Put Her In Her Crib, But She Just Won't Go In There. She Thinks It Is For Playing In, And Not For Sleeping In. I Am Not A Big Fan Of Letting Her Cry It Out, But If That Is The...

View more questions Search