Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itsbluu80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 11:01 AM
    Married out of country. Can I divorce in U.S?
    I married someone outside of the country, can I divorce him here without needing him to sign any papers?
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 2, 2009, 11:18 AM

No a marriage contract is between 2 people.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbluu80 View Post
    I married someone outside of the country, can I divorce him here without needing him to sign any papers?
    Yes. You can always get a divorce in the US as long as one of you meets the state's residency requirements (which vary from state-to-state). It only takes one of you to meet the residency requirements--not both.

It makes no difference where in the world you were married.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2009, 02:42 PM

In divorce it is very possible that you may never find the one person, you have have them served with divorce papers but they refuse to show up for court.

So yes a lots of divorces happen without one party signing
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 05:15 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    Sunflowers agrees: without needing him to sign any papers?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's called a default divorce and it happens very regularly all over the Country. People don't appear for one reason or another.

May 8, 2009, 07:43 AM

Itsbluu80,

There is a process for divorce by default. It is not ideal and is (sometimes) easily overturned if and when the ex shows up. A default divorce can proceed once you have sent proper notification to your partner of your intent and he does not respond within the legal timeframe. Good luck.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
    Itsbluu80,

There is a process for divorce by default. It is not ideal and is (sometimes) easily overturned if and when the ex shows up. A default divorce can proceed once you have sent proper notification to your partner of your intent and he does not respond within the legal timeframe. Good luck.

Again, this is simply not true. If it's service by publication the "partner" gets no notice. Defaults are NOT that easily overturned. That's why the Court insists that service be made and proof filed OR that publication is by Court Order.

Obviously your experience is very different from mine - what is your experience in this?

May 8, 2009, 01:43 PM

TOS: Miscellaneous statements and general conversations belong in the Member Discussions board.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 02:06 PM
    TOS: Miscellaneous statements and general conversations belong in the Member Discussions board.

And you are referring to - ? I see no miscellaneous statements and/or general conversations. I see legal advice answering questions raised by the OP and other people attempting to answer.

Correcting misinformation does not fall under the "miscellaneous statements and/or general conversations" rule.

On the other hand, if anyone would like to discuss why the law is written as it is, that's a general discussion.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 08:44 PM

Sunflowers - if you want to argue the law, keep it on the board. If you want to argue hurt feelings, keep it to yourself.

May 8, 2009, 08:55 PM

Tried to send this to you privately but your private box is full, perhaps you can move it since you are mod?
    I just got done reading this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/d...ld-344913.html

I am sorry if I came off as someone who is trying to attack you, like the person/s in this thread. I never meant to, though I now understand you feel I have attacked you. I felt like you were attacking me at times too, but now I'm thinking more than likely I just took your intention wrong.

I am not one of the people here trying to pick on you or anything like that at all. Though I see there are those here who are doing just that. I'm sorry if you got that impression from me.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Tried to send this to you privately but your private box is full, perhaps you can move it since you are mod?
    I just got done reading this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/d...ld-344913.html

I am sorry if I came off as someone who is trying to attack you, like the person/s in this thread. I never meant to, though I now understand you feel I have attacked you. I felt like you were attacking me at times too, but now I'm thinking more than likely I just took your intention wrong.

I am not one of the people here trying to pick on you or anything like that at all. Though I see there are those here who are doing just that. I'm sorry if you got that impression from me.

My being a mod or not being a mod has nothing to do with my mailbox being full. I have not emptied it because, quite frankly, I don't want any more PM's from you. I believe I've already told you that. As I told you before, if you are unhappy with me, notify a moderator. I've been brought up short before and if I am inappropriate, I will be brought up short again.

Pick on me? If someone I care about or who is knowledgeable "picks on me," I'll be concerned. In the meantime, I'm not.

I have no idea what the dog thread has to do with anything - I still don't believe it is appropriate or necessary to hit a dog "a little." In fact, after someone else posted an expert opinion on the subject the OP changed her stance. I have no idea what you are reading into this, other than another malcontent gave me a reddie for the advice - she believes it is appropriate to strike an animal "a little." And she is entitled to her opinion.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
    Itsbluu80,

This is absolutely incorrect - and I am unable to edit my earlier post. The majority of divorces in my County are by default, not by trial.

A party appears by Attorney, an agreement is reached, the party withdraws, the divorce is granted BY DEFAULT.

Obviously there are some divorces where service is by publication and the Defendant argues failure to notify. I see very, very few of these which are overturned.

Please give your research concerning why this is not "ideal" and why (sometimes) easily overturned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file for divorce if I was married in another country? [ 1 Answers ]

Am I able to file for divorce in Florida if I got married in Jamaica.

Move across the country, now divorce, WHAT'S NEXT?? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband has been going through a very rough custody battle. 2 1/2 years ago his ex wife moved his 2 children to Colorado (we live in Ohio). Of course the judge here let her and the kids go. One year later they moved to California. Her husband was stationed in the military in CO and then...

View more questions Search