Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ny11235g Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 07:53 AM
    Sister in Law wants Husband to adopt her daughter.SHADY?
    My sister in law has a 4 year old daughter, whose biological father had nothing to do with for all this time, other than child support that he avoids paying. She recently called my husband and claimed that the father now wants to get primary custody to suposebly not pay child support, so to avoid that, she is asking for my husband to adopt her daughter ( just on paper because she plans on keeping full custody ). Is it me, or does this sound shady, because in order to adopt the biological father would have to sign over his rights, which why would he if he IS trying to get custody? And what exactly would that mean for my husband, can she take him for child support? It is not like she is signing over her rights, for some reason she just wants her brother to be listed as the father?. Is it me, or is there something odd about this?.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 08:15 AM

If he wants custody to stop paying support, you can pretty much bet that it is going to get thrown out of court.

The chances of your husband adopting the child to avoid a custody battle is also not good. I believe most states will not allow siblings to coparent a child anyway.

There is something very odd about this... like your SIL has no clue about custody, visitation, support and adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 and my husband has been her father since she was 2. her real father is on the run from the law and hasn't seen her in a couple of years. He is on the birth certificate but does not pay child support or has no part of her life. How do my husband and I go about him adopting her?Keep...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my daughter. I have not been with the father since she was 8 months old but he is named on the birth certificate and he still sees her. My husband has decided he would like to adopt her just to make it final, we have two other kids to which are my husbands kids anyway. ...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter, but [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 2 years, my baby was 10 months old when we met. The biological father's wages are garnished each week for child support, but he doesn't cover any other responsibilities like day care or medical expenses. HE only sees her for about 12 hours a month. My...

Can my husband adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father has nothing to do with her?

View more questions Search