Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heymon80 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
    How can you ddifferntiate between a Mercury 2-stroke and 4-stroke outboard 5 horse?
    I have recently acquired a 5 horse mercury freshwater, outboard, transum hung engine.
    What Im not sure of is do I mix the gas with oil or not. Thanks
    ericjon Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 28, 2009, 07:55 AM

Take the cover off and look to see if it has valves. Valve cover is a dead give away.

A 4 cycle has valves. A 2 cycle does not.

The 2 cycle will have compression on every stroke. The 4 cycle every other stroke.

You could also go to the mercury website and look up your engine. There should be some kind of id plate on the motor.

If that deosn't work there are a few other ways to tell which one you have.

EJ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think he had a stroke [ 13 Answers ]

My cat is rather young, about 1 1/2 years old. He is an outdoor cat. I would rather not have him outside, but he insisted. Lol. Anyway, he has come into contact with many things that have caused me concern and I have taken him to the vet. I think my vet feels like I am an over protective parent....

My cat had a stroke [ 5 Answers ]

Hi am cat had a stroke a couple of weeks ago .she lost the feeling in the one pawl is there any exercise I can do with her to help her recovery:)

Did my cat have a stroke? [ 4 Answers ]

I have read other peoples questions about if their cat had a stoke or not, but my cat didnt do the exact same thing as others. My cat is about fourteen or fiveteen years old. I woke this morning to him on his back in my bed with all four of his legs twitching, pretty much he was flopping around....

My cat just had a stroke [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my cat just had a stroke last night, and I wanted to know what can be done? I'm not familiar with this. Thank you!

1984 Mercury Outboard 4 Cylinder 50HP problem [ 0 Answers ]

Ok,the motor idles good but when you try to get to full throttle the boat is hard to come out of the water and will not plane off like it used to. It seems like it will not hit full rpm's. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

View more questions Search