Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RogerS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2003, 11:44 PM
    Win 98 freezes during startup
    My 3-year-old HP Pavilion 6635 is running Win 98.

In the middle of the startup process, it freezes. When I look at the task manager, only three programs are listed instead of the usual 8 or 10.

Trying to start in Safe mode gets the same results.

I tried walking through the bootup process, but did not succeed in getting Windows to run.

I am able to boot up the computer in DOS mode but I don't seem to get access to the CD.

HP only supplies a boot image disk (is that what they call it?), which to use means I would have to lose everything on this computer and start over with the disk the way it came from the manufacturer.

I have a Win 98 SE disk from another computer I own. (One labeled, For use with a new PC only.)

I don't want to lose access to the applications I've already installed if I have to re-install Win 98.

What do I need to do?

Thanks,

RogerS
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 21, 2003, 12:01 AM
    Re: Win 98 freezes during startup
    My 3-year-old HP Pavilion 6635 is running Win 98.
    Ouch.

]
    In the middle of the startup process, it freezes. When I look at the task manager, only three programs are listed instead of the usual 8 or 10.

Ah yes... the enigmatic generic start-up failure...

What are the three running processes?

]
    I tried walking through the bootup process, but did not succeed in getting Windows to run.

Hmm... can you provide a bit more info? At what point did it fail? Any error messages?

]
    I am able to boot up the computer in DOS mode but I don't seem to get access to the CD.

To get access to a standard CD you will need to load a DOS CD driver. I'm not sure how win98 sets up its boot disc, but you should have something there called something like "MSCDEX." That's it. But what good would that do you?

]
    HP only supplies a boot image disk (is that what they call it?), which to use means I would have to lose everything on this computer and start over with the disk the way it came from the manufacturer.
    Well, I hate to tell you this, but I think that even if we can sort this out, it will take more time to figure out what is wrong than for you to just reinstall everything. I might be wrong, though. :)

]
    I have a Win 98 SE disk from another computer I own. (One labeled, For use with a new PC only.)
    Hmm... are you sure that is a "real" win98 disc... meaning not modified specifically for that other computer?

Sorry I couldn't provide more help on this point. You can either wait and see if anyone has any new ideas, or just reinstall now. Or use linux.

:)

~psi42

Dec 21, 2003, 12:38 AM
    You asked if I could supply more info -- the answer is, not really. I went through the list of things Windows was loading, drivers and such, and tried accepting or skipping them, individually, but in all cases I got the same result: after getting the Windows splash screen, my default background desktop color shows onscreen, but no icons appear or status line at the bottom of the screen.

When I press Ctl-Alt-Delete, I get a "Close Program" window (which I called the Task Manager in my original post -- it shows the same things it seems to me), and only 2 programs are listed: Vsstat and WebscanX.

On Macintoshes over the years, I've reinstalled the OS many times, but never with Windows. On the Mac, you boot from the CD and reinstall either in a new folder or over the old system.

I'm pretty certain the Win 98 CD I've got is full and OK (how would I check for sure?) (I do have a working XP laptop which I can use to look at the CD).

How does one go about reinstalling Windows? I have a handful of programs that I probably don't have access to the original CD to install anymore, so I'm only concerned that I don't lose access to those apps.

As for Linux, it doesn't seem to be an option here now. Maybe in future.. .

Thanks,

RogerS

Dec 22, 2003, 11:49 AM
    Okay, try this:

Boot into "Command prompt only" mode (use the same menu you used to boot into safe mode).

Once you get to a dos prompt, try

Code:
    scanreg /fix
    And then
    Code:
    scandisk C:
    And then try booting into windows again.

If that still doesn't work, try

Code:
    scanreg /restore
    You asked if I could supply more info -- the answer is, not really. I went through the list of things Windows was loading, drivers and such, and tried accepting or skipping them, individually, but in all cases I got the same result: after getting the Windows splash screen, my default background desktop color shows onscreen, but no icons appear or status line at the bottom of the screen.

When I press Ctl-Alt-Delete, I get a "Close Program" window (which I called the Task Manager in my original post -- it shows the same things it seems to me), and only 2 programs are listed: Vsstat and WebscanX.
    Those programs are parts of mcafee virus scan (you do have that installed right?) Can you go through the step-by-step startup again and see if it asks you whether to load those programs (or anything related to mcafee) and say no, and see if it makes a difference and/or what is then in the task manager.

]
    On Macintoshes over the years, I've reinstalled the OS many times, but never with Windows. On the Mac, you boot from the CD and reinstall either in a new folder or over the old system.
    Hmm... I really couldn't tell you. The only windows I've worked with have been distributed with oem computers and come with a custom recovery image. I've never installed retail windows. I'd assume it's just:
    1) boot from cd
    2) agree to 10 page license
    3) tell it what partition you want to install to
    4) let it go
    5) config your hardware (hopefully it should do that by itself)

]
    I'm pretty certain the Win 98 CD I've got is full and OK (how would I check for sure?) (I do have a working XP laptop which I can use to look at the CD).
    I'm not sure how to check it because you don't have an identical cd to compare it to. Perhaps after you boot up the disc it will give you an option to check the integrity of the data.

]
    How does one go about reinstalling Windows?
    If you just want to take the plunge, boot up from the disc and just go from there. The worst that can happen is that your partition table will become corrupted. Then you'd just have to repartition, which isn't that hard. :)

]
    I have a handful of programs that I probably don't have access to the original CD to install anymore, so I'm only concerned that I don't lose access to those apps.
    Ouch, this is a tough one. Because windows uses a complex central configuration database (the registry) that is basically made up of a bunch of small cards put together in the semblance of a windows logo, you'd have to extract the configuration for each of those programs from the registry. Ow...

Okay, I have no idea whether the following will work it all. I'm just guessing. I really really think it will just be a total waste of your time.

What you could try doing is backing up all the program directories and then the entire registry.
    Here is the ms article on how to back it up:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q256419

Of course the problem is you can't even boot to windows.

What MIGHT work is trying to find the cab file that windows creates every day as an automatic registry backup. Look for
    RB001.cab

With this command:
    Code:
    dir /s RB00?.cab
    In command prompt only mode

And save it out of your comptuer somehow. I don't know how big it will be, possibly bigger than a floppy. If it is, you will need to find a way to get it out over a network or something, or if you have a cd burner try to find a boot floppy with cd burning support.

After you've done that, you will need to copy all the directories of all your programs you don't want to lose to some external source.

After you restore them, I have no idea whether it will work or not. Probably the registry is bad, so it won't work at all.

Easy solution: Find your original discs.

]
    As for Linux, it doesn't seem to be an option here now. Maybe in future . . .
    Just an idea. :)

In short, you are probably better off at hunting for those missing discs than trying to pull out the installed programs. Then reinstall windows from scratch.

Good luck,
    ~psi42

Dec 23, 2003, 10:05 PM
    Odd thing. I ran scanreg /fix and Windows failed to rebuild the registry, advising me to delete files to make room on my 60 GB Windows drive (with 40 GB open).

I reinstalled Win 98, having realized that the boot floppy had a CD-ROM driver on it. However, this didn't solve anything. I got the identical results as before.

I'm going to have to set the issue aside for the next week while we travel over the holidays. Thanks again for your advice.

RogerS

Dec 23, 2003, 11:28 PM
    I reinstalled Win 98, having realized that the boot floppy had a CD-ROM driver on it. However, this didn't solve anything. I got the identical results as before.
    The only thing I can think of is that your hard disk partition table might be corrupted. Boot up from a DOS floppy, run fdisk and delete all partitions and reboot. Boot from the floppy again and make some brand new partitions, and try installing win98 again.

~psi42
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Mar 23, 2004, 11:36 PM
    In windows 98, go into the system bios... usually by tapping the delete button during start up and then once inside the bios, look for Plug and Play, under one of the main categories... I think it may be under "Advanced"and just below it in one of the sub categories you will see "Reset Configuration Data." Change the "NO" value to YES, then save and exit and restart your PC. This usually resolves the issue you described.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet freezes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using TPG on winXP and whenever I connect to the net, it works fine for the first 5 to 10 minutes. But after that the internet freezes. The computer doesn't freeze but all net applications don't work. If I try any website, it won't load. If I am downloading, it stops. If I have msn on, it...

Web cam freezes [ 2 Answers ]

undefined Hello, I have been having trouble with my web cam, it seems to freeze a lot. Any suggestions? I have re-installed it several times. It is a Logi-tech Quick Cam. -- thanks Lydia

Central AC freezes up [ 1 Answers ]

My Central AC freezes up after running for a couple of hours. Ice forms on the evaporator coils. Thermostat is set a 75. Thanks for any help.

Computer is freezing [ 2 Answers ]

well I'm having the problem that my computer continuosly is freezing. So I read that may be for some spy or other things my computer would have, so I downloaded hijackthis and did a scan but I don't know what should I do this is the hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2 Scan saved at...

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search