Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mindsI Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 02:07 PM
    why can't I see images online?
    Hi. I can't seem to see some images online. It's only some images some of the time, and other images all of the time, and other images are completely unaffected. The screen shows no box or x or any sign that there is anything missing, but I know things are missing because I uploaded some of them. This happens in Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Msn. It's as if the computer can't tell they are there.

I only noticed it on a single message board at first, but now I'm noticing it on Photobucket as well. I'm not sure where else might be affected.

It started happening after I reinstalled my hardrive, but after speaking with a Dell representative, they couldn't figure out what I could be missing.

Any ideas? Please help, it's driving me nuts!

Thanks.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 02:24 PM

Can you post the URL of an example?

May 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
    This is the site where I first noticed it.

Path of the Fallen: A Supernatural RPG - Home

There should be an image at the top, for example that says Path of the Fallen, but I can't see it. Also I cannot see some of the members signatures. I can't even right click, because according to my computer, there's nothing there. On Photobucket I can see all of my images when they're small, but when I click on them to make them 100% size, a few do not show up. To me anyway.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 04:35 PM

I'm thinking it's a misconfiguration in the operating system. I'm not sure what, however. What operating system are you using? Vista? XP?

In Internet Explorer (what version, by the way?). Click Tools | Internet Options (I'm looking at IE7 or IE8. If you have an earlier version, this will be somewhere else). Click the Advanced tab. Look under Multimedia for a checkbox that says "Show Pictures". It should be set (checked) by default.

As an alternative, and probably better procedure, on the same page, click the "Reset..." button. That may fix other things that can be causing the problem.

May 2, 2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks for taking the time to try and help!

I've got an XP and IE7. I attempted your suggestions, but there is no change. Is there anything else I could try? My dad suggested maybe I've got conflicting firewalls or virus protection programs or something. I don't know how to check that. I've got just McAfee as far as I know, but maybe Windows came with its own automatic program that's getting in the way?

As a last resort, how likely is it that things would go back to normal if I wiped my hard drive again and reinstalled everything?
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 04:51 PM

I can think of nothing that "conflicting firewalls" could do to prevent pictures from being shown. Windows Firewall is there and is probably active, whether you have McAfee. You can turn it off in Control Panel, but that's not likely to do much.

As for reinstalling the operating system -- I can almost guarantee that this will fix the problem. It just takes a lot of time so people try to avoid doing it.

May 3, 2009, 07:13 AM

I'd rather not reset my hard drive, either. Is there any other way I might be able to figure out what is misconfigured and repair it?

Thanks.
    WebsiteSolution Posts: 85, Reputation: 10

May 3, 2009, 07:47 AM

I just looked at the link you indicated and I cannot see the photo under Quicklinks is missing. The header does show up. The problem could be with the website itself, it may have nothing to do with your computer.

May 3, 2009, 02:27 PM

Quicklinks? What is that?
    I've asked other people on the site, and nobody else seems to have this problem though. Also, I only noted this issue after I reinstalled my hard drive.
    WebsiteSolution Posts: 85, Reputation: 10

May 3, 2009, 03:19 PM

On the site that you said you first noticed the problem, there is a section that says Quicklinks, that's where I see a missing photo also.
    Path of the Fallen: A Supernatural RPG - Home

The only problem I see is with your photos, not your code. Your photos should be visible when clicked on through your directory link -- they are not. Maybe try downloading a photo from an unrelated site, place on one of your pages and upload. It it shows up on your page and when clicked on from you directory, then the problem is probably with your images and the way they were saved and/or uploaded

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing images [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm on some sites. Certain images are missing. Do I need extra softwear as I have just formated my hard drive. Thank you.:mad:

I need to know if my images are OK! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am currently doing my junior cert art in school.we were given different themes,it took me a while to decide but I finally reached a decision and so I picked a suitcase of memories,I am very lucky and I go on a holiday abroad every summer so I woulnt be stuck for ideas but yet I couldn't seem...

No images [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a problem that I can't find help for. Can someone tell me why I have no images in some of my windows just white boxes with red x's in them? Thank you, J

View more questions Search