Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Shopping center is moving out
    Hey there, sneezy here.

So, as many of you know, I currently own a restaurant here in the atl. Things are going OK, not too great, not too bad... hanging in there. My restaurant is located inside a shopping center, with a big grocery store as the "center" of it all. I just heard through the grapevine that the grocery store is moving out in 3 months... which means all the small businesses around the grocery store will suffer majorly.

What're my options? My landlord didn't tell me any of this, which means that he wants me to find out the minute the grocery store closes... I can leave, but that means I'll be taking a loss... I doubt I can sell the place within the limited 3 months time... especially with the market being the way it is...

Isn't my landlord somewhat required to tell me of this? I re-read the lease, and obviously, it has no connotation as to the requirements of the landlord regarding the grocery store.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 5, 2009, 12:34 AM

Sneeze I am not an expert on legal matters as you know already.

But from my business sense I don't think the landlord has any legal requirement to tell you what he knows or knew before about this move.

I would try to talk with the management people at the grocery store and confirm what you have heard through the grapevine. I am sorry to hear this, I know how much work you have put into this already. But even if this is true (that they are moving) you may find out that some other company is moving in at some point. Or possibly it isn't true after all.

I understand that they are the 'draw.'

Stringer
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 06:46 AM

Yeah, the rumors have been confirmed. The grocery store is moving out. The way things go, whenever a big grocery store moves out, usually a gym moves in... not sure why this is the trend, it's just what I've seen over the past year or so.

Even if the gym moves in, it'll take roughly 6 months to a year before they renovate the place, construction, etc.. . so I'm not entirely sure what'll happen... I guess we'll "wait and see"...
    Business Expert

May 5, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    yeah, the rumors have been confirmed. The grocery store is moving out. The way things go, whenever a big grocery store moves out, usually a gym moves in...not sure why this is the trend, it's just what I've seen over the past year or so.

Even if the gym moves in, it'll take roughly 6 months to a year before they renovate the place, construction, etc. ...so I'm not entirely sure what'll happen...I guess we'll "wait and see"...
    You have some tough decisions sneeze, did you actually hear that a gym is moving in? Possibly something else will take over the space... can you wait to see what is going to happen for sure?

Sneeze, you realize (I know) that going to medical school is the way to go, no matter what happens with this.

I deal with a lot of doctors in my business since 80% of the businesses that we clean are medical. In my opinion, many doctors are not really good business people. Those, like you that have business experience and life experience are really successful not only in medicine but in their business investments. You are ahead of the curve my friend.

Stringer
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks Stringy.

My plan was to go to med school this August, and give my parents the business as a "gift"... but no, the fates wouldn't have it.

I have a meeting tomorrow with my attorney... which I assume he'll tell me, "your options are...1) leave. 2) stay."

If I leave, well... I lose all the money I invested. Granted, I can absorb the blow a little bit by selling the equipment. This is if, a big IF, my landlord will even let me leave.

If I stay, well, I think we all know that my business will fail.

D'oh!
    Business Expert

May 5, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    Thanks Stringy.

My plan was to go to med school this August, and give my parents the business as a "gift"...but no, the fates wouldn't have it.

I have a meeting tomorrow with my attorney...which I assume he'll tell me, "your options are...1) leave. 2) stay."

If I leave, well...I lose all the money I invested. Granted, I can absorb the blow a little bit by selling the equipment. This is if, a big IF, my landlord will even let me leave.

If I stay, well, I think we all know that my business will fail.

D'oh!
    How long do you have left on your lease?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shopping [ 1 Answers ]

When I buy myself something, I feel happy. I feel happy for a period, and then I know everything is okay. But when that item becomes old to me, I become depressed because of my real problems, and I don't know how to help the problems, so I go shopping because it makes me feel better. I feel like I...

Mortgage Shopping [ 1 Answers ]

We were preapproved for a mortgage well exceeding what we want to spend on a home. We haven't locked in a rate yet but they are looking competetive. In addition, once we close, we can refinance the mortgage at a better rate with the same company at any point we want with no fees and minimal...

Shopping for a new phone [ 1 Answers ]

I currently use T-Mobile to go. I probably spend an average of 25 to 35 dollars a month/140 minutes. I have had the same prepaid account for a few years now and would like to get a new number. I would like to try different options as I seem to lack service too much with t-mobile. I love its prices...

Shopping on your own [ 15 Answers ]

Well, I am 19 years old now and my mum refuse's to buy me new clothes now, and well lets say I'm not one for buying clothes. I find it embarrassing and don't know what to choose. Am I just being silly or is a lot of people like this. Recently I went shopping with my girlfriend and got clothes as...

Shopping carts [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know how to create shopping carts and how to make sure it is secure for credit cards? Is this something that I will have to go to the people that offer the service for credit and debit? I have seen that pay pal offers the ablity to create the shopping carts but is there...

View more questions Search