Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Pressure reg is beeding threw
    What is the best wway to solve pressure build up on your main water lines. Sometimes when I get out of the shower the pressure will climb to 165lbs intill I open a fauset. Is the only way to fix this problem to put in 2 regulators? I have the pressure set at 70
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    What is the best wway to solve presure build up on your main water lines. Sometimes when i get out of the shower the pressure will climb to 165lbs intill i open a fauset. Is the only way to fix this problem to put in 2 regulators? i have the pressure set at 70
    Then your PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) has failed. Either repair or replace it. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 06:34 AM

It is brand new.

Maybe I need a regulator at the meter?
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2009, 06:42 AM
    How new or old the valve is isn't important. The important thing is that it isn't doing the work it was installed to do. Have it replaced under warranty at no charge to you.And in the future please don't piggyback your posts. Just add to them. Thanks, Tom
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 06:47 AM

So you have never had a case where there is too much pressure for one regulator to hold? I will go get a new one and install it. But what if it does it again? What would be the next step?
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2009, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    So you have never had a case where there is too much pressure for one regulator to hold? I will go get a new one and install it. But what if it does it again? what would be the next step?
    I would like the brand name and model number of your present PRV so I can research the inlet pressure limit. Perhaps you need a larger one. There are situations that require two PRVs,(see image) Checkwith your local Building Department.
    I have to ask. Did your PRV ever work? Did this just happen? 70 PSI is the very top PSI that you should have in your house,( the average is 45PSI)
    Let me know wghat the city says. Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 05:17 PM

It is a Watts. 25aub

25-75 working pressure

300 max
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 08:42 PM

Hello Joshdta,

Tom is correct your pressure is high and needs to adjusted, you need to use a pressure test gauge to adjust the pressure, see the images below I have stated in red on the PRV loosen the lock nut turn out the screw will decrease the pressure and screw in will increase the pressure

What is considered normal water pressure? There really is no such thing as "normal" water pressure. Since water pressure is influenced by the elevation of the reservoir that serves your neighborhood versus the elevation of your water meter, water pressure varies from property to property. Water pressure in the District typically ranges from 45 - 125 psi; however, typical residential systems are designed to function best under a pressure of 40 - 60 psi. If the water pressure entering you home exceeds this level, you should install a pressure regulator in the line to reduce the pressure to an acceptable range. This protects your equipment and piping in your home from damage from excess force exerted by the water. Symptoms of high pressure include "clanging" or "rattling" of pipes that occur when a faucet, dishwasher, or washing machine shuts off; water heater pressure relief valve malfunctions, and reoccurring leaks. The symptom of low pressure is typically a noticeable reduction of flow, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2009, 05:13 AM
    Excellent answer and great back up John,
    Hey Josh,
    Reading over your complaint.
    Sometimes when I get out of the shower the pressure will climb to 165lbs intill I open a fauset.
    and suddenly realizing that your PRV valve made this a closed system. The use of a water pressure-reducing valve normally creates a closed system. When water is heated in a closed system, it expands, causing an increase in pressure. This pressure may increase to the set pressure of the relief valve (on the water heater) causing it to drip, thus releasing the expanding water and protecting the system against excessive pressure, This increase in the system pressure over that regulated by the reducing valve is called "thermal expansion pressure". How do you determine if you have thermal expansion pressure? When high house pressure is evident, open a cold water faucet. If your pressure gauge shows immediate drop to the regulated reduced pressure setting it indicates the regulator is operating correctly end that thermal-expansion is the cause of the expanded pressure..
    This could be the cause of your"pressure spike" Considder installing expansion tank and see if that doesn't help. At a max. of 300 PSI your PRV valve should handle anything t6hat comes into your house. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the help, I will try a exp tank before anouther reg. I did install 3 or 4 8 inch knockers, but they must not be taking all the pressure
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 2, 2009, 11:05 AM

As said above: your pressure regulator failed. Get new one. Better one. No need to install 2 regulators...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I pregnant? Threw up 3 times [ 5 Answers ]

Threw up twice last week and once 2 days ago. Missed period always hungry. Should I feel a bump or something hard?

5 month puppy threw up! [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 month old puppy threw up today after a walk around the neighborhood(which we do regularly). He ate at around 3pm and the walk was at 8pm. But he seemed totally fine, still running around. But later tonight he threw up white liquid/foam a min after barking at his reflection in the mirror...

Beeding & Virginity [ 10 Answers ]

Before people say "not everyone has a hymen & not everyone bleeds".. I know so you don't have to bother spending an extra minute typing it. I want to know in a girls first time if she does bleed, is it the second the hymen brakes or is it after the penis comes out of her vagina? Does it change...

I've been threw hell [ 4 Answers ]

the past 3 years This guy I like love has hurt me a lot and yet I still like him. I asked him out in 6th grade he said no because “his mom said he couldnt date” then in 7th grade I find out that it was a lie and he just didn't want to date me. Then in 8th grade he sends me an email telling me to...

Friend Threw Up Blood [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who threw up blood tonight. She is a 22 year old female and appears to be in good health. She was eating chicken and rice which is a part of her regular diet. She stated she felt fine at first, but then she experienced pain in her abdomen. My friend sat down and waited for the...

View more questions Search