Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blmtsi Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Apr 30, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Marijuana charges 1 year 11 months later
    A year and eleven months ago my friend allegedly sold an ounce of marijuana to an undercover cop. Nothing ever came of it until this past week. He was approached by state police at his work, and during the conversation they told him that they would press charges on him unless he helped take down a dealer.
    Being almost two years later he has completely changed his life, he now has a 9 month old son, house, stable job, and no longer does drugs nor does he talk to those people. When he told the police that there maybe one person that was still up to his old tricks, but was unable to find a number or where he has moved since. He also told them that the largest amount that he would be able to get ahold of is an ounce. The police told him that he would have to try harder than that, and the smallest amount he would be able to try for is a half pound, and they would then forget about the charges against him.
    Thinking back to when something may have been going on. There was no way even then to find an amount like that. All he ever was, was the end user, and would help out a friend here and there. They (the police) have told him that they will file felony charges against him. I have looked at the PA NORML website and following the guide lines all that would be possible to charge him with is two mistermeanor offenses. My question here is: Can the police file charges against him after almost two years, and what felony charges can they file against him?
    a_launius Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 06:25 PM

Sounds to me like scare tactics. Felonys have no statue of limitations depending on your state. Misdemeanors on the other hand do have limitations (2-3 yrs). If he follows suit they'll basically make a narc out of him. I'd tell him to call a criminal defense lawyer from the norml web page and just ask the same question you have posted here. Was he ever charged, taken to jail, or see the judge? If the answer is no- he needs to STOP talking to anyone without a warrant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 07:14 PM

First please if you don't know the legal system don't answer from law and order TV show ideas,

First all feloies except murder have a statue of limitation, depending on location and crime from a couple years to 15 for some.

He sold drugs, so he could be charged for selling drugs, possession of drugs with intent to distrubute.

But remember the police do not have the authority to make deals, only the DA, so even if the police say they won't do anything, they can or a new chief can change their minds, so unless you have a written deal from the DA, there is no deal.

Next of course police officers lie, once they get you buying it again, they have new charges they can use and they can keep you blackmailed forever working for them.

If he really has changed, he needs to get an attorney and work out a plea with the DA
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

Apr 30, 2009, 07:24 PM

Your 'friend should not listen to the police. They can and do lie to people. Your friend should call a lawyer and hire a lawyer. He should not ever "deal" with the police. If any plea deals are made it would be with the Prosecutor.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 05:56 AM

Hello:

All good advice. I just wanted to say that the cops are the criminals here. Your friend is their VICTIM!!

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One use of marijuana and hair test in 2 months [ 5 Answers ]

I know there are already questions about this topic but I have another one. I had 2 hits of marijuana a few days ago and I have a hair test coming up in 2 months. Before this usage, I was clean for over 90 days. What are the odds that this comes back on the test?

Ex girlfriend (3 year relationship) wants to see me after 4 months. What should I do? [ 31 Answers ]

All threads merged I'll try to be as brief as possible. One of my sister's friends had always liked me, and after a few years of knowing she had a crush on me, I caved in and asked her out on a date. She was 16 (almost 17) and I was almost 20. After our first 2 dates, I went back to college...

No sex for months, is it the medications or the marijuana? [ 25 Answers ]

I'm a 23 year old female and have been in a serious relationship with my boyfriend for almost 5 years, we have lived together for most of the time. It seems like quite quickly we went from having sex daily, to weekly then monthly and now we often times go 4 months with no sex. First I believed it...

Divorce still not over after 1 year 3 months [ 9 Answers ]

It seems the attorneys are sitting around and waiting. Mediation was was done in April and most things were settled. We have been nitpicking for months and months. I have actually had to work out things with my ex over the final issues. These things had been passed over for the attorneys to write...

Charges for an 18 year old [ 8 Answers ]

What would happen to an 18 year old charges with theft under 5000 Say it was just a shirtt??

View more questions Search