Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkmartin69 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Linksys router and connection issue
    Hi all, I have a Linksys router. 2.4 Ghz. I run one desktop PC that is wired to it, and a laptop that connects wirelessly. My trouble is this. I have second laptop that will not connect to it. It says "out of range" it can be sitting right next to it. The laptop will connect anyplace else. Just not to my router in my house. When I search for a list of availasble Networks my network is in the list.

Any idea how to correct this?

THank you:)
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 01:32 PM

Sounds like the settings are out... or could it be the fact that it will not support two laptops wirelessly.

Try swapping over the laptops just to see if there's any difference.

We have two PC both of which are wired into the router which is then plugged into the wall connection.

The only time we have had trouble i.e... the main computer not recognising the other, is when the settings on my computor were not the same as the main computor.

Once they were the same everything was fine.

Apr 30, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Swapping? Im not sure ehat you mean forgive me lol

I have taken the one that does connect right out of the house so as not to interfere.

How would I make sure the settings are the same in the laptop and in the PC?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 06:16 PM

Ok. Dismiss the first response (I apologize).

Do you have any security set up on the router?
    What kind of laptop? 802.11 protocol? Operating System?

Also, check your power management. This may be way off-base but I've seen it where power management really messes with things.
    Double-chek and make sure the boxes are unchecked.

IF THE PC IS VISTA FOLLOW THIS
    Control Panel>Network Sharing center>Manage Network Connections>right-click wirless adapter>properties>configure>power management.

IF THE PC IS XP FOLLOW THIS
    Control Panel> Network Connections>Right click on your adapter>properties>configure>power management.

I believe that is the right path. I'm at work and we don't have Vista machines so I can't be 100%

Let me know!

Rick

Apr 30, 2009, 07:27 PM

Xp is on the laptop it's a dell I'm not sure if its 802.11 or how to locate. OK took out a check mark from the power manage... it allows a change from lowest to High,. we took out the check and changed to high. Still nothing.
    DanMart513 Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Apr 30, 2009, 07:41 PM

If you are using the wireless [windows default] connection icon, check if you have the Linksys Wireless Monitor installed. Try to disable it then connect again. If it doesn't work, disable the wireless [windows default] connection icon and use the wireless [Linksys software] monitor.

Apr 30, 2009, 08:06 PM
    How do I do all that?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

May 1, 2009, 09:22 AM

Do you have the network password protected? Also check the XP Power-Management. That's right in control panel!

Rick

May 1, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Yes there is a network password. And I checked power management.

It still says "out of range"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verizon DSL, Linksys router connection issues [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I am having internet connection problems. I have a Verizon DSL connection with a Westell Wirespeed modem connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Two computers are connected to the router, one running XP the other Mac OSX. I have had this network running for sometime, but just lost the...

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Slow linksys WRT45G Router [ 2 Answers ]

:mad::mad:I have a linksys wrt54g router and a couple of days ago I notesced thethe internet spped dropped from 2mb/s too 0.16mb/s . I need help with this problem and if there area anyone who thinks thy have a solution thanks in advanced:)

No wireless connection, Linksys Router [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have an old Gateway laptop and a new (less than one year) Macbook. The Gateway has a wireless G card and I'm not sure what's inside the Mac. Anyway, I was getting a perfect connection from both to my Belkin wireless router. One day it stopped! I tried everything. I switched out all the...

Linksys router configuration [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought a Linksys wireless router. I have one desktop and laptop I am able to access the Internet when I hardwired my laptop / desktop to Modem. (which is what is there now). . I want to connect my laptop in "wireless" mode to the router and access internet. I tried accessing...

View more questions Search