Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:28 PM
    western germany ring
    I have a costume filigree ring with the inscription Western Germany on the back.My understanding is that inscription would place the time of manufacture on or about middle to late 40's as that would be the time in history when there was a Western and Eastern Germany.
    Can you confirm this?
    Also is there an on line site you could recommend that would carry such jewelry so I can get an idea of its value?
    Thank-you.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 01:58 PM

East and west germany were separated up until 1990, so the ring probably dates from 1949-1990.
    Here are some sites I found:
    West Germany - Costume Jewelry - Vintage Jewelry @ collectiblejewels.com - Germany Jewelry
    Vintage Costume Jewelry Signed West Germany or Germany mark
    Vintage Jewelry Designers - Company History, Information and Research

Hope this helps.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    Thank-you but what I meant to convey was that only at one time before they became east or west Germany it was Western Germany or Eastern Germany.They only used that specific designation for a short time so I suspect it was before 49.
    Thank you for the links.I appreciate it!
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 30, 2009, 02:55 PM

This vintage filigree ring you speak of...
    Is it considered as costume jewelary?

[ I hate that word-costume jewelary]

Die Kennzeichnung, "Deutschland" zeigt das Stück wurde vor dem Zweiten Weltkrieg, weil danach, wäre es markiert, zunächst "westlichen Zone Deutschland, US-amerikanische Zone Deutschlands, und so weiter, und nach, dass" Western Deutschland, West-Deutschland, etc. Wenn es die Bezeichnung "Deutschland" ist vor dem Zweiten Weltkrieg. Im Jahre 1946 oder'47, als Deutschland geteilt wurde, sind die Punkte, die entweder in West-oder Ost-Deutschland wurden die Bezeichnung "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" oder "Deutsche Demokratische Republik" (das war der DDR, die weder demokratisch noch eine Republik). Artikel einfach der Aufschrift "Deutschland" Ich würde sagen, fast sicher vor dem Zweiten Weltkrieg (es sei denn, sie sind neu, natürlich, nach der Wiedervereinigung).

Translated...

The labeling, "Germany" indicates the piece was before the Second World War, because then it would be checked first "western zone of Germany, U.S. Zone Germany, and so on, and after that" Western Germany, West Germany, etc. If the name "Germany" is before the Second World War. In 1946 oder'47 when Germany was divided, are the points that are either in West or East Germany, the name "Germany" or "German Democratic Republic" (that was the GDR, are neither democratic nor a republic ). Product simply of the word "Germany" I would say, almost certainly before the Second World War (unless they are new, of course, after the reunification).
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazi View Post
    This vintage filigree ring you speak of....
    is it considered as costume jewelary?

[ i hate that word-costume jewelary]

Die Kennzeichnung, "Deutschland" zeigt das Stück wurde vor dem Zweiten Weltkrieg, weil danach, wäre es markiert, zunächst "westlichen Zone Deutschland, US-amerikanische Zone Deutschlands, und so weiter, und nach, dass" Western Deutschland, West-Deutschland, etc. Wenn es die Bezeichnung "Deutschland" ist vor dem Zweiten Weltkrieg. Im Jahre 1946 oder'47, als Deutschland geteilt wurde, sind die Punkte, die entweder in West-oder Ost-Deutschland wurden die Bezeichnung "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" oder "Deutsche Demokratische Republik" (das war der DDR, die weder demokratisch noch eine Republik). Artikel einfach der Aufschrift "Deutschland" Ich würde sagen, fast sicher vor dem Zweiten Weltkrieg (es sei denn, sie sind neu, natürlich, nach der Wiedervereinigung).

translated....

The labeling, "Germany" indicates the piece was before the Second World War, because then it would be checked first "western zone of Germany, U.S. Zone Germany, and so on, and after that" Western Germany, West Germany, etc. If the name "Germany" is before the Second World War. In 1946 oder'47 when Germany was divided, are the points that are either in West or East Germany, the name "Germany" or "German Democratic Republic" (that was the GDR, are neither democratic nor a republic ). Product simply of the word "Germany" I would say, almost certainly before the Second World War (unless they are new, of course, after the reunification).
    Thank-you so much.I can't rep you because I messed up the way I posted this and I had just repped you a few seconds ago on another post BUT Thank-you!
    Thank-you for the information as I do want to sell it and I need as much background as possible.
    I do believe it is costume jewelry.If not I am soon to be rich as it has pearls in it as well.
    Thanks again!

Apr 30, 2009, 05:43 PM

If its costume jewelry then I just seen other western germany jewelry on eBay for sale and auction, the prices are very low.

western germany jewelry, Jewelry Watches items on eBay.com

No need for rep... just send me some german lager and tylenol. Lmao!
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazi View Post
    If its costume jewelry then I just seen other western germany jewelry on ebay for sale and auction, the prices are very low.

western germany jewelry, Jewelry Watches items on eBay.com
    I saw the exact ring about 8 years ago and it was selling for $75.00 but now I understand that rings that have the specific Western Germany brand(?) on them are becoming rare.
    I hope I can get something for it. It's a good day when even a few bucks come your way!
    I'm assuming it is costume jewelry,because it big and kind of gaudy :)
    Thanks for your input!

Apr 30, 2009, 05:55 PM

Yup.. no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

No dial tone when trying to ring out, won't let people ring in! [ 6 Answers ]

I was on the phone when the phone call was cut off and I could only hear a quiet buzzing sound, after this I tried to call my friend back and every time I pick up the phone I can only hear the buzzing sound! I asked my friend to call me instead, she said that it was ringing on her end, but my...

Divorce in germany [ 1 Answers ]

I’m a Central American Citizen and I got married to a German man. I've been in Germany since June 21 2007 and we got married on July 6 2007. We've been together for about 2 and more than a half in total around the world. The thing is that for me things are not working out that well here in Germany...

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

View more questions Search