Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsimoes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Could I have a pipe leak under my living room floor?
    I have noticed that when I walk over a small area of my living room floor the carpet feels damp/cool. I thought it was maybe a water spill from my toddler, but it's been over 24 hours and in fact feels as though the damp/cool area is spreading a little. There is no squishiness in the carpet, nor can I blot up any wetness. It feels as though I had shampooed the carpet and it's in the last stages of drying or something. Thank you!
    Trisha
    dapixman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 07:36 AM

Well I would look above and below the leaky spot. Water may have dropped there or is coming from a nearby source such as a bathroom, kitchen where ever water may be present. If your floor is radiant heat it could be a leak from a broken pipe in the floor.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2009, 07:45 AM
    To check to see if you have a hidden leak first shut down everything in the house, no flush, no drinks of water, and if you are on a meter go out and check the little pointer in the gage. It should not move or creep. If it does you have a leak. If you're on a pump then check the pressure gage after the pump builds up to pressure and shuts off. The gage should not fall and the pump come back on. If so then you have a leak. Get back to us and we'll help. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 2, 2009, 11:10 AM

I assume you are on concrete slab, correct ? Is the wet spot warm ? Do you have hot water circulating pump?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 12:13 PM

Tom have given a good advice,
    To check for a water leak, open the link below and watch the clips step by step, Thanks.

John

How to Access the Water Meter | Expert Village Videos

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips on Finding Where a Leak May Be Located in a Pipe in a Wall, Floor or Ceiling [ 7 Answers ]

I'm wondering if our plumbing gurus have any tips on where to locate the source of leaks in pipes that are in walls, floors or ceilings without having to take out huge portions of the surface areas in order to locate the leaks. Case in point: I have an elderly friend with an upstairs apartment...

Suspect of PVC drain Pipe leak in wall of bath room [ 14 Answers ]

Lately, there is water dripping sound in the wall of my bath room immediately after shower or toilet flushing or water sink used. After about 5-15 minutes, then the dripping sound stopped. I suspect there is a leak in PVC drain pipe or fitting in the wall. However, there is no sign of water...

Keeping living room/floor above a garage warm [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all. I live in a house where the living room is directly above a garage with a new insulate garage door. The living room floor is insulated. However on really cold days the air infiltration through the floor above the garage is ridiculous. What can I do to better isolate that space above...

Leak on the ceiling of living room [ 2 Answers ]

I have a water leak about 1 1/2 inch in diameter in the ceiling of the living room. The upstairs bathroom is above the leak. How can I find out if it is coming from the shower or the toilet? Or does it matter? Does the water from both drain through the same pipe?

Possible leak in the living room from the shower above [ 5 Answers ]

I need some assistance here. I have about a foot long portion(straight line) of my ceiling that is making me wonder if a leak from my shower in my master bedroom. THere is a portion of my ceiling that looks like it was a bad tape and plaster job, and it is directly underneath my upstairs...

View more questions Search