Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballbrat1622 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 06:14 AM
    Trane outside unit not kicking on
    I have an outside A/C unit that does not do anything, I replaced the thermostat over the winter, the heat kicks on with the furnace no problem, but at the thermostat you hear the click when setting the temperature below room temperature, but nothing happens out at the outside unit. I checked the ohms at the capacitor, they went from a high # to virtually 0, could it be the run/start capacitor?

So Help me get this fixed...
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 11:59 AM

Do you have 24 volts and 220 volts at the contactor? Is the capasitor swollen at the top?

Apr 30, 2009, 12:19 PM
    I did not check the voltage there, but it had the voltage there before, so I would assume nothing has changed. There seems to be NO swelling with the Capacitor.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:23 PM

Is the contactor pulled in? If not try pushing it with a screw driver and see if it comes on.

http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/Pott...42D22P1-24.jpg

Press the botton in the middle.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:24 PM
    When you replaced the t-stat did you put a jumper from rc to rc?

Apr 30, 2009, 12:29 PM
    I rewired it the same way it was wired, they are both electronic T-stats, nothing changed at all. I hear the click in the T-Stat when putting the temp below room temp.

I will have to test the Contactor, I was not aware of this being an issue and I will check the voltage at the terminals, which ones should I test across?
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:36 PM

Well usually the main 220 power comes to the bottom 2 termanals, ck for 220 volts at the bottom 2 and the top two. Then the 24 volts should be two small blue wires on the left and 1 on the right side of the contactor. Chack for 24 vollts between them two.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Does your indoor blower run when the t-stat clicks for ac?

Apr 30, 2009, 12:40 PM
    No inside blower doesn't do anything for A/C, it works great for Furnace and the heat.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:41 PM

OK then is sounds like it is a t-stat problem then. If neither the indoor or out work.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Take the stat off the wall and jumper between red and yellow and see if anything comes on.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Also look for that jumper between rh and rc. Make sure it is there.

May 1, 2009, 08:09 AM
    OK, I guess I am very confused as it works to kick the furnace (blower) on, it also "clicks" when the unit is on cool and you set the temp below room temp?

May 1, 2009, 08:16 AM

One thing I am confused on, again I rewired it the same way (5 wire) it was before, of course it had no issues other than the heat wasn't working before. There was no "jumper" wire then, so why would I need one now?
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 09:24 AM

May be you old t-stst did not have a rh and a rc just a r. rh gives the heat power and rc gives the ac power. If you have the red on rh only the ac will not recive any power inless it is jumpered to rh. Same as if you only hook the red wire to rc the furnace would not get power.

May 1, 2009, 05:51 PM
    I was able to check the contactor and the button was not pushed in, however when I pushed it in the outside fan came on, so it has power to the unit, I could not get any readings at the Capacitor, so what do you think?
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 07:14 PM

Did you check to see if you had a wire on rc?

May 2, 2009, 05:54 AM
    No I was not able to go inside the home at the time, I will do that, however my question would come as to how there would be power to the fan/compressor and when I hit the contactor it fires the fan up. Wouldn't that indicate there is power to the system at some point, but the capacitor is not kicking the contactor on? Or maybe the contactor isn't working as it didn't push in when the signal is sent from the inside unit?

Just asking
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 07:10 AM

The contactor is supposed to be pulled in by the t-stat. by you pressing it in shows that there is 220 volts going to the unit, but not 24 volts. So the problem would be at the t-stst or the indoor unit not sending the power.

May 2, 2009, 07:14 AM
    OK Thanks for the information, I will check the Jumper wire and if it isn't there will replace it with one. Afterwhich I will test the system and see if it will in fact kick on or not.

BTW, thanks for all the help and explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My gas heating unit keeps kicking off & on [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old house and I had the gas company come out & light my pilot on my gas furnace. It kicked on, but only stayed on for a few seconds and the kicked back off. It is continuously doing this. Will not stay on.. I am a single mother of small children with no heat.. please help us..

My Trane Unit is frozen over [ 3 Answers ]

My spouse is deployed and I put the filter in the wrong place. I placed it at the bottom of the unit where the vent is.:confused: I found out that I put it in the wrong place by opening the unit door and opening another cover where I found the Frozen and Dirty Filter. I have turned off the unit...

Trane package unit [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all I'm having a problem with a unit runs good ,cools good, unit will run fine then just shut off ck unit giving no codes reset unit it runs fine until it just shuts off again

Trane a/c unit [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the a/c on inside the trane unit outside is making a loud buzzing sound. What can I do?

Outside AC unit kicking on in winter [ 3 Answers ]

I have central air, and the outside unit (condenser right? I'm a complete noob) kicks on for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then repeats. This doesn't seem normal. Advice? Thx!

View more questions Search