Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballbrat1622 View Post
    No I was not able to go inside the home at the time, I will do that, however my question would come as to how there would be power to the fan/compressor and when I hit the contactor it fires the fan up. Wouldn't that indicate there is power to the system at some point, but the capacitor is not kicking the contactor on? Or maybe the contactor isn't working as it didn't push in when the signal is sent from the inside unit?

Just asking
    Is this not your home your working on? If not just think about the liability if something goes wrong. Its time to call some one who knows.
    ballbrat1622 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 06:32 AM

Luckily this is my rental home, so I have a little time to work the problem. (IT hasn't gotten too warm yet)

May 25, 2009, 06:34 AM

No I have not been able to test or touch the Transformer, my original question to that was "where is that transformer?" is that one of the black boxes on the circuit board. There is a picture posted above in the thread.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 06:41 AM

The transformer is not hooked to the control board.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/medi...yne/621299.jpg

May 25, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Josh,

Ok, so will this be mounted on the furnace somewhere? Also, from the picture I posted earlier, you can see that I don't have that quick fuse on the control board (or if there is one, I can't find it)

Thanks for all your help.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 06:53 AM

If it is not on the board itself then it may be inline on on the wire coming from the transformer to the board. Usually the transformer is mounted very close to the control board. It may even have a reset on it.

May 25, 2009, 06:56 AM
    Ok, and if the transformer is not warm and doesn't have a reset on it, then it will most likely need replaced?

What if it is warm then where do we go?
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 07:00 AM

If it blew it will no longer be warm. Inless it just blew out. What you will have to do is locate it. And remove the 2 screws that hold it and just smell it for a electricial burn smell. That is the only way to tell with out a volt meter, same with the control board if you turn it over you can look for a burn mark on the diodes. Make sure to turn the power off before doing so.

May 25, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Ok sounds pretty easy, I do have a volt meter, what do I need to check with that?

I am trying to recall on the furnace, but it does have a switch, probably the main switch on the side of the unit, then I am trying to recall if it had any "transformers" in sight.

Thanks for all your help.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 07:39 AM

There are 2 power wire to the transformer that should have 120 volts then the 2 other lead are the low voltage that go to the contol board you should get 28 volts from them.

May 25, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Now when I was there last I did check for voltage going into the control board and there was nothing, of course I didn't check near the Transformer, so once I locate it I will do so, hopefully I will get up there this afternoon.

May 25, 2009, 04:34 PM

OK, checked at the transformer, nothing, no voltage whatsoever. (I made sure I pushed the button in and checked)
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 04:36 PM

No 110 volts or 28 volts? Or just no low voltage?

May 25, 2009, 04:59 PM
    There was nothing at the transformer. Looking at the wiring it appears that the wires go from the furnace and the A/C unit to the control board, from the control board of course there are the wires that go to the Transformer, the Red,Blue, Black and White, I checked the voltage there was nothing.

May 27, 2009, 11:21 AM
    I can't recall at this moment whether I depressed the switch or not, I am most certain I did, there has to be power getting there at least on the 110 V side. If the switch isn't depressed it will not allow any voltage through I assume.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 03:27 PM

Correct if you do not press the safety door switch you will get nothing.

May 28, 2009, 04:18 AM
    OK I think we are almost there. I went back to the unit last night and tested the voltage at the Transformer. I had 120V on the line coming in and nothing on the line going out, I have ordered the new transformer, will pick up later today and should have it installed this evening.
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 04:20 AM

Sounds like this is your probem if you have no power coming out.

May 28, 2009, 05:38 AM

Yes, I will get it replaced and hopefully late tonight or tomorrow I will have good news on the furnace and A/C units functioning properly.

May 29, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Ok replaced the Transformer, it warms up, has 120 + V coming in, but nothing coming out still? I hear the T-Stat kick in to switch the A/C or Furnace on, but at the control board there is nothing. Again there is no output at the Transformer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My gas heating unit keeps kicking off & on [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old house and I had the gas company come out & light my pilot on my gas furnace. It kicked on, but only stayed on for a few seconds and the kicked back off. It is continuously doing this. Will not stay on.. I am a single mother of small children with no heat.. please help us..

My Trane Unit is frozen over [ 3 Answers ]

My spouse is deployed and I put the filter in the wrong place. I placed it at the bottom of the unit where the vent is.:confused: I found out that I put it in the wrong place by opening the unit door and opening another cover where I found the Frozen and Dirty Filter. I have turned off the unit...

Trane package unit [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all I'm having a problem with a unit runs good ,cools good, unit will run fine then just shut off ck unit giving no codes reset unit it runs fine until it just shuts off again

Trane a/c unit [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the a/c on inside the trane unit outside is making a loud buzzing sound. What can I do?

Outside AC unit kicking on in winter [ 3 Answers ]

I have central air, and the outside unit (condenser right? I'm a complete noob) kicks on for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then repeats. This doesn't seem normal. Advice? Thx!

View more questions Search