Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snowgoose Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 11:04 PM
    I tried to complain about boss who is incompetent and it got me demoted
    My new boss has a brain injury from Iraq. He's a nice guy. I have vets in my family, I admire his service. But, point blank, he's incapable of doing his job. He's given wrong answers to the folks who work under him and I and I had to straighten out his mess, I guess because I felt responsible to get the work done properly for fear I'd be blamed. I tried to tell him discreetly--right when it happened--so he could straighten it out, but he's so easily distracted and went on and on and on (about non-work related stuff) that I couldn't get a word in edgewise. I gave up and fixed the problem myself that first time. Then it appeared everyone in the office was bypassing him and coming to me. I'm not getting paid to do his job, but he is. BIG bucks compared to mine. So after a few weeks, I went to his supervisor and very uncomfortably told him I'd never been in this sort of position before and I wasn't sure how to handle it and I hadn't had any luck broaching the subject with my boss because he was so very often in his own little world (I didn't say this, but, for example, I tired to call him once via cellphone about a question I'd been given from a worker under us both that should have gone to him and he went on and on and on about personal stuff of his own that after a solid 30 minutes using my cellphone minutes listening to him ramble on, I hung up on him and pretended I'd lost the signal.) THAT is NOT me. I'm not usually dishonest.) Anyway, I told the upper-level guy examples of situations where my boss had given out wrong answers, where my boss had wasted everyone's time in a 2-hr meeting where he talked endlessly about his personal business and never stayed on-topic of the job and afterwards the workers came to me w/ all the questions they'd tried to raise at the meeting that my boss never handled because he didn't hear them. I was being uncomfortable around the workers because they filled my ears with how much they felt they were going to be blame for lack of productivity when it was in reaity my bosse's fault. People started blowing off the meetings. I told them they had to come even if it they felt it was a waste of their time. I also (maybe this was my mistake?) told them that I would see if I could have anything done about it and I asked them to tell me all their complaints so I could know what to address... NOW I got a call from my boss telling me that because I went to his supervisor to complain about him (I honestly didn't know what else to do--what SHOULD I have done? ) I was insubordinate and I've been demoted to the level of the other workers, losing my extra pay. How should I have handled it differently? Is there anything I can do now?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 08:58 AM

Sure there is something you can do now - get another job if you don't like the one you have. Basically anytime you complain about a superior, get ready to take the consequences whether you feel you deserve it or not. Sometimes the best way to handle that type of situation is to do nothing and say nothing and let the higher ups see who messed up and why. Sometimes the higher ups have "reasons" why the incompetent was hired in the first place. Maybe he's somebody's brother, brother in law, uncle, second cousin, etc. and needs the job and other times the higher ups just like his phony banter that got him hired in the first place. I've seen it both ways and the best way to handle this is to say nothing and not get involved in trying to straighten out their mistakes. I know you meant well, but you must remember higher ups don't like to be told they hired an incompetent employee.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 04:24 PM

My son complained about the unfairness at work and they treated him really rude to the point he quit. Either live with it or leave.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 06:04 PM

Lucky you were not fired, that normally happens, and still may of course

At the end of the day, the boss is the boss, you document it all in writing as much as you can.
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Before making any action about your boss, think twice. A boss is always a boss. In the first place, he should not have been hired if he is incompetent. If you were in his shoes, you wouldn't like what you did. It is just but normal to be charged of insubordination if you don't follow instructions from your superior. It's not for you to shouldler the problem, leave it to them. Just work the best you can to the interest of the company. As long as your salary was not decreased with your unwanted action, don't bother. What is improtant now is you still have job.
    Snowgoose Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by felgar View Post
    It is just but normal to be charged of insubordination if you don't follow instructions from your superior. .... As long as your salary was not decreased with your unwanted action, don't bother. What is improtant now is you still have job.
    But... I didn't disobey anything from this boss.
    And... my pay was cut when I was busted down to lower level. It's not right.
    Just saying...
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    But...i didn't disobey anything from this boss.
    and...my pay was cut when i was busted down to lower level. It's not right.
    Just saying....
    The best thing that you should do is to bring the matter to the grievance committee (if there is any) or the personnel manager. I am not an attorney but it is not right to cut down your salary even if you were assigned to a lower position, otherwise, if you were not qualified to the position, you should not have had been promoted as regular employee.
    kundang2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 09:43 AM

Shoooo that's how it works
    Focus on your area of control beyond your boss's area of control there is frustration & nothing else.
    This is how I would look at it it's not a legal advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Geithner the incompetent [ 9 Answers ]

Let's say you were telling the American people that you had ANOTHER $ trillion + plan to get the credit market flowing again ;and you wanted to instill confidence that your plan would work . What would you say to make a good sale ;a first impression ? What would you say after the President made a...

Get demoted and they lower your pay rate [ 1 Answers ]

If you are employed in pa and u are a manager and u are not fulfilling your job duties and get demoted are they allowed to lower your pay

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Should I be mad if I just got demoted in my best friends wedding? [ 6 Answers ]

We have been best friends for about 12 years and she's getting married this year in December. Of course I'm very excited for her and excited for myself when she asked me to be her maid of honor, especially since she's the closest I have to a sister. But just last night she caved in to pressure from...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search