Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poseidon_92 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Roommate sustained injuries
    Hello...
    I live with a friend of mine who I know has very good homeowners insurance. I've lived her a few years and have never signed a lease, nor have I been asked. I recently slipped and fell in the bathtub after the owner (my friend), did not clean the tub after using a form of oil scrub, and the next morning I put one foot in and slipped right back out. I have torn many ligaments and need reconstructive surgery on my knee. Per my surgeon, he advised me to ask her if I was covered under her Homeowner's policy even though I currently reside there, but no lease has ever been signed.

Any advice/help? I asked her nicely to check her policy and she shrugged it off, meanwhile I'm in a brace, can't walk or drive by myself and have had crutches for over a month. I recently started a new job and now after surgery will need approximately 2 months off, so I will not have any income.

Thanks!
    madhatter2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poseidon_92 View Post
    Hello...
    I live with a friend of mine who I know has very good homeowners insurance. I've lived her a few years and have never signed a lease, nor have I been asked. I recently slipped and fell in the bathtub after the owner (my friend), did not clean the tub after using a form of oil scrub, and the next morning I put one foot in and slipped right back out. I have torn many ligaments and need reconstructive surgery on my knee. Per my surgeon, he advised me to ask her if I was covered under her Homeowner's policy even though I currently reside there, but no lease has ever been signed.

Any advice/help? I asked her nicely to check her policy and she shrugged it off, meanwhile I'm in a brace, can't walk or drive by myself and have had crutches for over a month. I recently started a new job and now after surgery will need approximately 2 months off, so I will not have any income.

Thanks!
    It all depends if you can prove in court you wasn't living there when you really were bet you probably get mail delivered there all it takes is 1 letter with your name and address printed on it and you lose a court case and a friend.
    Most home owners insurance doesn't cover the people who live there next time clean the bath tub before you use it.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 29, 2009, 05:53 PM

WikiAnswers - If someone falls on your property do you have an obligation to notify your insurance company or can you wait to see if the person sues

If someone falls on your property do you have an obligation to notify your insurance company or can you wait to see if the person sues?

Answer
    You have an obligation to read your policy and follow it. It is an agreement you made with the insurance company. If you delay too long, the policy may say that a claim is not covered if not reported within a certain amount of time, so if you wait, and get sued, the isnurance company may not have to defend you or pay for the loss.

Well its her property, you fell [ guest/renter] she needs to report it no matter the outcome.
    If she is a friend she would try and help since you slipped on her oils.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2009, 06:45 PM

It doesn't matter, you were injured in an accident on her property. Whether as a guest or tenant is ilmmaterial. Get her insurance info and file a claim.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 07:01 PM

This is what the insurance is for. Due to her negligence you were hurt.

If you know what company she has her insurance with, you can call and file the claim. The claim rep can look up the policy info using her name and address. To file a claim, you don't need to be listed on the policy and you don't need her permission.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 07:34 PM

You are a tenant lease or not but Scott is right to the point, it doesn't matter. If need be you can sue her for your damages, sounds like she doesn't care too much about your relationship already so don't be surprised if this doesn't get uglier
    poseidon_92 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 01:13 PM

I actually sent a message to my regular car insurance company who also handles home insurance. They basically sd I have to prove she was negligent, and that this is extremely hard to do especially with home accidents. So in a nutshell--no coverage.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poseidon_92 View Post
    I actually sent a message to my regular car insurance company who also handles home insurance. They basically sd I have to prove she was negligent, and that this is extremely hard to do especially with home accidents. So in a nutshell--no coverage.
    File a claim anyway. Most of the time the insurer will offer a settlement just to avoid going to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trampoline injuries and liability [ 2 Answers ]

What is the liability for having a trampoline in my yard and if someone gets hurt while playing on it?

Spinal Injuries [ 2 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with slipped/herniated disk. I was wondering if it could be cured. Also if I could go back to practising marshal arts and normal activities?

Weights with Injuries? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently injured my knee in sports, and I don't think I can do squats or any major leg training for a fair few monthes. So iv'e decided to concentrate on my upper body for the time being. Does anyone know any good strength endurance training methods for bench press and the like? ...

Spinal Injuries [ 1 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with herinated/slipped disk? To be specific, my MRI examination stated that I have 1st degree lytic spondylolisthesis of L5 over S1 with consequent L5-S1 diffuse posterior pseudo disc. Could that be cured and could I go back to normal activities and sports?

Basketball Injuries [ 5 Answers ]

I really want to make the varsity team my freshman year. I'm 5'11'', 155lbs, very lean (I have a six pack), 14 years old. I just broke my foot 3 months ago and got off the cast 1 month ago, so I'm still weak on that foot. I could touch rim before I broke it. My strengths are: I'm the fastest...

View more questions Search