Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emmygirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 03:25 PM
    What is a good dog food
    What dry dog food would you recommend and why. I am looking for a good quality dry food that will bring a nice shine to my dog's coat.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Believe it or not, Wal-mart's Ol' Roy brand has a premium chunk dry food that does well for my Sheba(see icon). We do mix in table scraps fairly frequently and if she sunburns in the summer we add oils. Purina has several good ones, as does Kennel Ration. Look around and ask the major decision maker (your pup) which one they prefer. The little 3 pound bags are good sizes for a trial period
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 02:11 AM

It's hard to say what food is good food, there are so many different brands!
    We feed V.I.P pet food but unfortunately that's an Australian brand.
    My mom feeds Eagle Pack dry food.

Just read the back of the labels to make sure there are no preservatives in the food and that it is a balanced diet.
    lavanyaa Posts: 190, Reputation: 4

Apr 30, 2009, 03:03 AM

Why don't give your pet pedigree
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 03:26 AM

Pedigree is actually not as good as people think, it is an adequate food but not great :)
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Apr 30, 2009, 10:21 AM

I personally avoid Ol' Roy like the plague. They have had too many recalls and problems for me to feel safe feeding it to my dogs. You may want to look at this list and take it into consideration.

Search for Pet Food Recalls

I personally have been very happy with Benefuls. It has done wonders for my two Siberian Huskies coats.
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Excellent list, foxkit. Being cynical to a fault, I actually trust a brand that has had some recalls more because that means someone in Quality Control is doing their job. No plant on this earth can catch every defect, it isn't possible. The other thing is that Sheba will go get her own if we don't get it for her.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 04:49 PM

Solid gold
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 07:19 AM

I only feed my dog hollistic dog food with no fillers in it. It takes a little while to find stores that carry it * I get mine from a specialty store* and it does get costly but he's so much healtheir and its obvious *before we got him he got fed pedigree, ole roy and other grocery brands
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 2, 2009, 05:12 PM
    One of the more sensible threads on dog food I have ever seen on the net. So many people are pushing premium foods or alternative diets. There aren't any studies available to the public comparing different diets. I read endless speculation, but no proof of anything. Me, I am feeding my Golden Iams.
    Pest Control Expert

May 2, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Thanks, Labman:D

I have fed store brand foods or their premium products to every dog I've ever kept and they all lived long and well. I have yet to see or hear of scientific evidence that any particular formulation or manufacturing process confers any benefits to the dogs. I'm not saying there isn't any, it just hasn't been publicized.
    Uber Member

May 3, 2009, 02:24 AM

That is true, the store bought foods do contain enough nutrition for the dog.

It all just personal preference really.
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 04:25 AM

I Think it is only partially personal prefrence. Our friend (where we got our dog) only could afford beniful, purina, and ol' roy so our dog was only fed that. He used to shed fur a lot more, he would eat an amazing amount of food yet he was staying steady at 35.5 pounds. Which is below the middle range of weight for his breed. Their leavings were wetter and not as solid and he itched bad. In fact all his dogs were like that. Now that we own him and have changed to a diet I trust with no fillers, by-products and preservatives we have noticed a huge difference. He eats less, is more shinier, doesn't shead or itch like he did. His leavings are more solid and are not super mushy. I can now actually clean the yard not just attempt to. Our friend (with our helpp) now buys a brand from the specialty pet food store that we go to and he is saying the same thing as I did. Now that rebel has been on his new diet for 5 months we see a huge change in his weight too. He is now up to 40.3 pounds (45 to 48 pounds is the max weight on the breed discription) And none of the weight gained was dead weight it was all in muscle tone
    KARIEMELIA Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

May 4, 2009, 02:17 PM

I only give my boy Eukanuba!!
    Pest Control Expert

May 4, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Emmygirl,

As you can see, opinions differ wide and far. If you want to see some fireworks, ask us about whether to feed table scraps( I say yes).

Try several, use small bags to find out what your new family member likes and does well on.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 02:03 AM

Mine get table scraps sometimes... my partner loves steak but I'm not a huge fan... guess where my leftovers go... lucky dogs lol :)

Ours refuse to eat vegetables though unless it's processed chicken and vegetable roll. Lol
    Pest Control Expert

May 5, 2009, 02:13 AM
    If we get take-out I'm lucky to get ANY fried rice.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 02:29 AM

Hehe yeah ours sit there making their sad faces and you can't help but share :)
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 04:25 AM

I personally don't give my dog table scraps. The other dog here has gotten them all its life and she is over weight (but she also had theroid and skin problems) but I just hate the begging personally. She begs like the ens and it drives me up the wall. Nothing worse then trying to eat and having a sad little face staring at you the whole time. Plus I don't know how healthy some foods are for dogs with all the preservatives and junk in'm heck I don't even think some of them should be consumed by humans
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 05:16 AM

Yeah, good point binx!
    Some of the food I give mine isn't really fit for human consumption... like McDonalds hamburgers!
    Remember, only in moderation lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Food invention (registration of a food product?) [ 12 Answers ]

I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please...

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and mix she is 2 year old when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food I giver her alots of food but she would not eat it what do you think I should do Help

Food poisoning, or Food allergy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. Greetings first of all. Well, see, on Tuesday morning I felt fine, nothing seemed to be wrong. Went to work at a restaurant, 3 hours cause it's split shift. Came back home and was supposed to go back to work at 5pm. Right around that time I started to feel bloated, and had lots of gas. Then...

Is it good to mix dry with wet food [ 17 Answers ]

My 6 month old maltese didn't want to eat at the time So I bought some ceaser puppy food And mixed a little bit in with the royal canine puppy food And he ate it all, But can you do that or is it bad?

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search