Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fhernandez75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Run Command Error when trying to execute a command
    I just had my laptop re-imaged with a new Updated Windows XP CD running SP3, however, When I go to START | RUN
    It does not matter if I type in a Server name on the network or just CMD. I get the message below and it will not execute. Is there something I can do to fix this?

“This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.”

Any and all Help will be greatly appreciated.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 11:57 AM

The message you are seeing is an indication that the file associations are somehow damaged. Specifically, the "exefile" association is damaged.

One web site says, "This problem occurs if the .exe file association in the registry is corrupt. This behavior is generally caused by viruses; one of which is SirCam virus, which modifies the .exe file association in registry." so you need to make sure you don't have a virus. But, if you truly had your laptop "reimaged", it's unlikely that you have a virus (did you actually reimage the computer or did you simply load SP3?)

Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension

Go to the above web site. They have a utility, http://www.winhelponline.com/exefix_xp.com, and instructions that you can use to restore that association.

Post back if you have any more problems.

Apr 29, 2009, 12:31 PM
    I'm in the process of having my friend try it.

I myself just reimaged it with Wndows XP and Updated all windows updates and SP3. So that is why Im puzzled to see that there is an issue. I will let you know as soon as she runs the fixexe_xp.

Thanks for your help so far

Apr 29, 2009, 02:01 PM

So it looks like that was not the answer to it. Any other ideas?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:05 PM
    If that didn't work, I suggest you re-image again. Make sure you're not simply installing service pack 3 over what you already have. You need a clean install of Windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Run command is not working! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... The Run command in the start menu is not present! I tried the properties but it still doesn't work! I get the following message (the message in the image attached) when try to open it through the "shortcut key". 3485 I am looking forward for any support. I shall be very thankful to...

Command line is telling that "javac" is no internal or external command [ 1 Answers ]

Hi fellow I have just started java , my operating system is windows vista , I have installed java but when I give "javac" command on command line after writng the code in note pad the command line gives an error that javac is not an internal or exetrnal command... if any 1 can help ...

Orgasm on command [ 19 Answers ]

My question is how do you train the woman to orgasm on command.. I would very much like to know ;) <EDIT> I am a woman myself.. to clear up miscommunication.. I was speaking in general

Unable to successfully execute the MAPI second command Error 2 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I get this error message when I try to send a fax via email - Unable to successfully execute the MAPI second command Error 2. Please help.

Run Command on Start [ 5 Answers ]

I am using Windows 2003 server. I am not finding RUN command on start. When I press Windows+R key it is giving the following message. "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" Please help me

View more questions Search